New DCC fitted Tornado causing overload on Select

Nic1823

Afternoon...  

Just had the new "Peppercorn A1 Class, 4-6-2, 60163 'Tornado' with TTS Sound" delivered, looks great, but as soon as I placed it on the track to programme a new address, or run it under the default 03 address, it causes an overload (OL) onmy Select DCC controller...  

Can anyone suggest why?  Didn't get a chance to phone customer support as they closed just as I phone.

It's faulty....exchange it for a replacement. This fault seems to come up time and time again on the forum with TTS locos.

Thanks, I'll do just that.  Had isolated the fault to the tender by touching the loco then the tender to the tracks separately, so will take your advice and send it back... a great shame... nice looking piece of kit!

• 1 year later...

Look for a wheel pickup distorted or a track pin of other metallic debris causing a short, especially if lifting one end or the other of the loco-tender stops the OL.

If the OL happens with a new loco or one you have just fitted a decoder to then suspect the decoder socket has solder tracking Between pins, which means taking the body off to inspect under the socket and could invalidate the warranty.

A loco would not normally OL the programming track but a Select uses the main Track circuit for programming so full potential is seen during programming.

From what has been said it sounds like this came with TTS already fitted, so yes I agree with the rest it is return job. Obviously your one has tender pickups, before you send it back, check that none of the tender pickups are bent and touching things they shouldn't, just in case it is something simple.