Percy renovation

Briang2

• 1 year later...

Hi all, apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Completely new to Hornby, a friend has loaned us a small track and one of the engines is Percy. He's just broken the gear cog visible from the undercarriage (I'm not sure on the exact terminology), it's an off-white colour. Could someone point me to instructions of how to dismantle and reassemble him (no instructions in box!) and how to source the correct gear cog? Thanks in advance!

Hi

Since this thread is resurected does any one know if Percy's body will fit a Nellie type chassis.

My was killed at a model railway exhibition years ago basically ran non stop for three days on a large layout and did not like it.

Totally worn out hoping to fit it to a more rubust Nellie type chassis motor combo.

regards John

I can see your issue, none of the normal Suppliers have the spare parts. I recently updated a couple of 0-4-0 locos, I found it easier to source the whole chassis with wheels off EBay and it was cheaper than just the motor. Failing that I think it is the same motor that goes into scalextrix, it definitely looks the same.

I did a quick check on the Hornby parts website and it looks like there is a later part X8966 for the motor. On this site people kept telling me that on later models they changed the gearing to slow the thing down. When I bought the latest chassis what I found was that Hornby didn't do that at all, all they did was put a resistor in series with the the motor to lower the voltage and slow it down. So have a look at the later 0-4-0 Service sheets and see if the part numbers have changed. Unfortunately, Hornby don't have a numbering system that tells you what the updated part is (although it is the same).

Savage HK - download service sheets 115/115A from the website of Lendons Model Shop, Cardiff.  These show exploded diagrams of the 4-wheel tank loco chassis.  The plastic worm wheel is part S9571.  To replace that, it will be necessary to remove the front coupling rod pins S2353 on both sides to release the rods (lever the pin out with a small screwdriver blade against the wheel).  Then one wheel will have to be removed from its axle (lever against the chassis but do not twist it on the axle as the splines on the axle will eat away the plastic wheel hub making it a loose fit when reassembling).  Pull the other wheel and axle from the chassis to release the wormwheel from the axle.  Reverse procedure to reassemble, making sure the wormwheel is centred on the axle and the rail wheel is replaced on the axle so that the hole to take the coupling rod pin aligns exactly with the position of the pin on the rear wheel.  If S9571 is difficult to source, pack X8004 (service sheet 200) gives that and the worm.