Non DCC loco on Dcc track

DO2RFC

Good evening

I would like to know if it is possible to run standard DC loco with elink and railmaster.

I have a digitrax Zyphire too and at this divice I can change to adress 00 and run a analog

loco on my track.Have the railmaster and elink such a aditional adress too.?

It will work for a short time, but you are EXTREMELY strongly advised not to do it.

We know the book says you can, but the motor is 'seeing' pulsed 16V, even with throttle zero set. So it is minutely rocking from side to side, not rotating, and the poor little coil is getting hotter and hotter until it melts.

I'm not being dramatic here, it is what happens!

Instead of the speed control knob increasing or decreasing the volts being fed to the motor, in the smooth analogue form it is designed for, it is getting varied length pulses of alternating 16v a/c. By changing the length of the off/on pulses, this varies the speed of the motor, but you probably heard it buzzing like a bee in a jam-jar.

Up-to-date DCC controller manuals are being written that says do not, and the function zero setting is being removed from controllers, as they get updated.

RailMaster can not set or use Address Zero. There is no Analogue loco support in RM.

As Eric says, it is not recomended anyway, even if your controller manual says it is supported. Just because it can be done on some controllers, does not necessarily mean that it is a good idea.

Google  "Mark Gurries"  and search his site for "DC Loco"

Archived