Swapping 3 pole motor for 5 pole motor in Flying Scotsman

Raziel

Urban myth that 3-pole motors judder. Buy one and try it. TTS motors can be adjusted via CVs to run smoothly if required. In fact the Scottie has had several motor variants and if you interogate the decoder there already are matching values for these motors.

If the Motor is in the loco it most likely a modern unit. If it's in the tender then it could be a 3 pole ringfield but I doubt it would be listed as TTS.

The informant probably thought it was the kater. Those can be changed out for a 5 pole or if you are lucky fitted with a replacement 5 pole armature as I did with my Evening Star 9F. 

Unless they have changed the spec again, the Railroad R3284 TTS Scotsman has, if I remember correctly, a three pole motor and flywheel (just like those other big Railroad locos Duke of Gloucester, Cock o' the North and Tornado).  I suspect there is an error in the technical details on the Hornby page.  Changing to a 5 pole can be done but isn't a simple like for like replacement as they aren't 100% identical externally.  See BB's link,

• 1 year later...

In theory a 5 pole motor should perform better than a 3 pole motor at low speed. With DCC and modern electronics you do get better performance from a 3 pole motor, but a 5 pole will always be better. The disadvantage is you do not get the same top speed. I looked into this a lot when I was updating my ringfield based HST, but in the end a 5 pole motor was virtually impossible to get or in one case more expensive that the loco so I stuck with the original, and surprisingly it does work well at low speed. I don't know if the Flying Scotsman has the same issues as the Tornado, in that Hornby only put pickups in the loco, not in the tender, I found by adding tender pickups I got much better running. If I could find the service sheet I would compare the parts. I would have thought the 5 pole motor should just slot in, my issue would be if they changed the gearing, so you might have to change the intermediate gear. 

@bulliedboy I watched Sams video on cheap Chinese motors, really good. I didn't realise you could get so cheap. As Hornby seem intent on exitting the spare parts market, very relevant. I am not surprised probably the same motors that Hornby use, one of the penalties of "outsourcing" you can be undercut by your Supplier. Thank you for the link.

Well after watching "Sams Trains" video you do wonder why Hornby even fit 3 pole motors, we have got to be talking about saving fractions of pennies. Now where I used to work where we were shifting100s of thousands to millions I can understand saving a cent here and there, even then not always worth it, given the warranty risk when changing a part, but Hornby's numbers are nowhere near that. Incidentally I ordered 5 as spares, cannot believe they are so cheap. 

They did look precisely the same as the Hornby motor - same markings, and skew-wound armature - and appeared to be performing the same - slow, fast, etc.

I have noticed that 71000 DoG has the big / small mounts 'the wrong way around' for the normal 5-pole motor, but I've a few Chinese motors coming across with 'double shafts' - basically sticking out of both ends, so I can reverse the location of the motor and trim the shaft I don't need with my Dremel.

If I'm successful, I'll post on here .... fingers' crossed.

Al.

• 1 year later...

I just watched the Youtube that Bulliedboy recommended, it was really interesting. I was looking at it as I have a couple of the latest Railroad Tornado / Mallard chassis and the motors on these are only 3 pole, plus one is broken. I assume Hornby use the same chassis for the latest Railroad Flying Scotsman. The thing that intrigues me is if the guy in the video is right, which I assume he is, why is it that a Pendulino motor can be bought for £7.95 whereas the King motor is the same with the shaft shortened (if he is correct) but cost over £20.00. The only thing that the guy did get wrong is to get the flywheel off I had to grind down an old puller to get it to fit between the flywheel and the plastic mounting part. If you were to hammer it as he recommends, you would break the plastic mounting plate. Still a really good video.

I see my last post was 22APR20 - so some time ago.

I had replaced the 3-pole with a 5-pole in my DoG.

Sounded better, but TBH, speed and overall performance wasn't.

I've pulled it out again and have opened it up - which generally means I'm looking at ways to improve ... we'll see.

I have 3x spare motors as previously described - 5-pole, dual shaft. Might try a swap.

Al.