Curved points

Old Black5

I agree....if you can....avoid them.....more hassle than they are worth....well at least as far as posts on this forum are concerned, the Hornby R8074 / 5 ones are. But if you are insistent, then you will need this information in the top part of this image to join the loops with curved points in the B & C extension plan layout.

/media/tinymce_upload/21b626974fe12da14f882e9b7b0efda5.jpg

OB5, be aware that if you consider substituting the Hornby R8074 / 75 with Peco curved points for improved reliability. Then you will need to ensure that you select curved points from the Peco ST product range. The Peco SL product range use completely different geometry.

OB5, be aware that if you consider substituting the Hornby R8074 / 75 with Peco curved points for improved reliability. Then you will need to ensure that you select curved points from the Peco ST product range. The Peco SL product range use completely different geometry.

Can I ask why curved pointes are to be avoided,

And will Peco ST fit into Hornby track?

OB5,

Can I ask why curved points are to be avoided, and will Peco ST fit into Hornby track?

I don't use Hornby track or curved points, but I do read all the posts that get published on this forum. Hornby points in general and Hornby curved points in particular seem to have a very high share of issues published on this forum compared to other brands. Issue as mjb has stated of excessive rolling stock derailments. You only need to search the forum for "curved point" to see a selection of the number of posts raised.

Hornby curved points seem to be like 'Marmite', some people have no issues at all, but many do. It is also probable that the issues are more likely to be raised on the forum than posts that document no problems. Peco ST track products are rarely raised on the forum as being problematic.

Peco ST track is compatible with Hornby track.

EDIT: Others got in with their replies whilst I was typing.

I have one of each direction and both of them derailed stock and locos in either direction ‘at times’. I went through the usual checks about laying them dead flat, wheel back to backs, etc but they were just too unreliable so they were relegated to the parts bin and the trackplan amended to suit. That layout is long gone but any future plan will avoid curved points. I may be unjustly condemning them but you only get one chance to make a first impression and these points failed that test.

• 1 year later...

R8074 / 75 are the ONLY curved points that Hornby currently do.

As you can see from this Hornby track geometry extract, these are 2nd and 3rd Radius

/media/tinymce_upload/176b37c654d2518c66325eaabf5dac87.jpg

Despite their apparent perfect fit into 2nd and 3rd radius in Chris’s geometry diagram above if you look at the other diagram Chris posted on page 1 of this topic - that comes with the points- you will see that both inner and outer curves apparently also fit perfectly into 2nd radius.

Having said that if you use the reputed trouble free brand pinned down dead nuts flat per forum suggestions - and you have no other real choice due to layout restrictions - I would say go for it.

I agree that both radii on a curved point are 2nd radius. The inner track is curved throughout its length and the outer is straight then curves.

I found that you can ease the radii if you're brave enough by cutting slots in the bottom of alternate pieces of plastic between the sleepers. I kept on cutting out bits until I could ease the curve of the point and it still held together. It opened to about radius 3.5 before the blades didn't work. Also the ends of the rails are no longer level, but it's easy to trim the ends. It now looks better on the layout.

I found to my cost ( one new Hornby curved point ) that it only works on Peco points as they are made from a softer plastic. My first attempt using a Hornby point failed when the harder plastic shattered under the duress and had to be binned.

I can't understand why the model shop owner wouldn't refund the cost of the Hornby point, as I offered him most of the pieces back and the cardboard sleeve was still perfect!!!

I'm now wondering if a Peco SL curved point could be worked to a tighter radius to fit radius 4.

As stated, both Hornby and Peco Setrack curved points are 2nd radius on BOTH curves.  This is a well know fact.

As for a refund, TBH retailers are only obliged to offer a refund if the Brand New item is or becomes defective.  If it doesn't fit in with your needs and was ordered in error, then its your fault! There is no reason for them to offer a refund. However, many retailers will replace or offer an alternative as a good will gesture, but only if the item hasn't been used at all and can be resold as new.

My appologies. I was joking about asking for a refund on a point I had completely trashed. It really was in several broken pieces and I purchased a Peco curved pointthat was sucessfully eased out to a more gentle radius on both curves.

I use Peco Streamline Electrofrog curved points. I can't say I find them anymore of an issue than normal points. In reality they are not much different to the large radius points. You do have to line up the curve properly. I do get issues with locos sometimes shorting on the frog but that can be cured by isolating it. Of course getting them level is an issue.

I must admit I have more issues with double slips getting them level, powering them and working out which way the loco is going to go. The only reason I use then is the Peco diamond crossing has too much plastic in the frog area, which since 1980 they have not improved. The code 75 is much improved so why did they not retrofit it to the code 100 system. It also seems that the more plastic in the frog area of a point, the more likely it is to distort.