Getting a 1/64 set running

Big-bill3

I have bought a used micro set (thunder bugs) to use at our new Who Let The Dads Out sessions.

the set appears complete but I can’t get the cars to run. Using an Avo (that dates me) there is a dc supply to the tracks that varies with the controlller. I assume the micro system is only a simple analogue one. 

does the track need to be fully laid out or can I test the cars using only the power track piece?

one car needs new braid - not an issue AFAIK

can I use a pp3 battery or similar to test the cars?

Hi Big Bill - welcome to the forum!

I’d recommend looking through the tips on this thread: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-micro-scalextric/

Yes, the Micro sets are simple analogue. And you can use just the powerbase or a 9 volt battery to test the cars. It’s a good idea to test them without the body and rear axle, just in case one of the wheels is binding on the chassis or body. I’d also check the controllers are okay.

Spare cars and chassis are available quite cheaply on eBay. I buy copper replacement braids for my Micro cars.

I hope that helps.

Hi Big Bill - welcome to the forum!

I’d recommend looking through the tips on this thread: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-micro-scalextric/

Yes, the Micro sets are simple analogue. And you can use just the powerbase or a 9 volt battery to test the cars. It’s a good idea to test them without the body and rear axle, just in case one of the wheels is binding on the chassis or body. I’d also check the controllers are okay.

Spare cars and chassis are available quite cheaply on eBay. I buy copper replacement braids for my Micro cars.

I hope that helps.

• 10 months later...

Hi Big Bill - there have been various versions of the powerbase with different power and controller sockets. The most common two types of the 'old-style' (pre-2019) Micro Scalextric powerbases were those with the larger DC and stereo jacks and then the final flat, rectangular plugs. If you buy from eBay, you would need to chat to the seller to make sure you get what you need. The powerbases available as an accessory  from Scalextric in 2020 are for the new 9 volt (2019) second generation system and are not compatible with your set.

In any case, you only need one powerbase in a layout. You can power each lane separately, but it is not essential.

I hope that helps.