Linking points to light signals with dcc

Dai bach

After 65 years of 3 rail I have decided to go 2 rail DCC a big challenge at my age.but very enjoyable. Is it possible to change the signal (lights) at the same time as switching the points on a DCC layout? If so how do you do you do it?  Which light signals woud be appropriate to use.

I have 16 points 4 decoders all points work well but with so many points I need to identify easily which ones are live.

Thanks 

Dai

Easiest option may be to have a switch of some sort, eg a microswitch, operated by the movement of the points.  When the points switch direction, the sibnals will be changed.  What point motors do you have?

What DCC Controller are you using?

What DCC Accessory decoder (for the points) are you using?

Which light signals woud be appropriate to use?

Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoders are only really suited to operating 2 Aspect Signals, typically 2 Aspect signals are Red & Green lamps. But not always.

Is it possible to change the signal (lights) at the same time as switching the points on a DCC layout? If so how do you do you do it?

There are several options that you could use to achieve your desired outcome.

1. As Rog says above, link a physical change-over microswitch to the point mechanism.
  2. Wire a Gaugemaster GM500D Latching Relay across the point motor (only suitable for Solenoid operated point motors). The GM500D latching relay is operated by the solenoid operating pulse, the relay change-over contacts then operate the signal. Being a latching relay, the change-over contacts stay in the last switched position. It is important to use the D version with a DCC Accessory Decoder. The GM500 without the D version is not suitable. D stands for Digital accessory decoder compatible
  3. Use additional Accessory Decoders to operate the signals, but give the signal the same DCC address as the one allocated to the point. Then both the point AND the signal will respond to the point operating DCC command. The Accessory decoder port being used for the signal would need to be configured for 'always on'. This 'always-on' setting can not be configured using the current firmware in the Select DCC Controller. So if using a Hornby controller this would need to be either the Elite or the eLink. Note: The ability to configure CVs using a Select is available in the version 1.6 firmware upgrade.

/media/tinymce_upload/825247a374609bc2aa1edd7fb25f6768.jpg

I have 16 points 4 decoders all points work well but with so many points I need to identify easily which ones are live.

If you were to use the Elite or the eLink. Then with RailMaster software you can see what position your points are in using the on-screen track plan. The fact that you are asking this question infers that you are more likely using the Select controller (if you are using a Hornby branded controller) or possibly an Elite in 'stand-alone mode' without RailMaster.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Archived