Help with my Turntable & Class 44 [strange operational interaction]

Guest Chrissaf

What controller brand / model?

What TT brand / model? (Is it for example a Heljan DCC TT 89121)

Is the TT configured as an 'Accessory Decoder' DCC address OR a Loco DCC Address?

....turntable ID was 52 originally it happened at ID 3 and at ID 40

So what is the TT DCC address ID now?

Was the reference to ID 3 & ID 40 relating to the TT address or the Class 44 loco address (your post lacks clarity on this point).

I purchased a class 44 peak D3 Skiddaw a few weeks ago.I programmed it number  32 and i have just got round to trying  it around my layout. But when i do the turntable also starts to turn as well,  it only happens with that loco though, turntable i.d. was 52 originally it happened at i.d. 3 and at i.d. 40   can anyone enlighten me please

Does the TT still do it, now that you have changed the address from 52 to 40?

And again.....what controller brand / model?

Is the loco decoder a R8249 (if not what)?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. You know what you have got......but we don't......you know what you can see and observe.....but we can't see it.

We can only work on the information you give us, and so far that has not been very much.

Just taking Jane's comment a bit further. When you configured the DCC address in the new Class 44 purchase. Can you confirm that the loco was configured as the only decoder fitted device on a separate programming track isolated completely from the main layout.

If Jane's suggestion above doesn't work for you. Then in that case I would try changing the TT decoder to a Hornby R8249......Some Bachmann decoders have had issues reported on this forum before when used with Hornby controllers. But first, read-on.

What firmware revision is shown on the Elite LCD screen at power up. If it is not the latest current 1.44 release, then that could have a bearing too on your issue. The firmware is upgradable by you at home from files downloadable on this Hornby website.

Has the Hornby TT been modified for DCC use?

The Hornby R070 TT is designed as a DC Analogue TT and will generate a 'short circuit' as it turns. That is, if you have correctly set up your layout track for DCC working and have the track wired as 'always live'. There are threads on this forum that detail the most optimum modification method as devised by forum members. This is different to the so called Hornby recommended method. But either method should work.

Do you have or experience ANY other odd DCC control issues that are intermittent in nature and things that you can't quite put your finger on. This odd TT behaviour being a case in point. Was your layout originally a DC Analogue layout and been upgraded to DCC?. If so...read and act on the next section.

If using Hornby track and power connectors.....you may still have the DC Analogue power clip / power track products connected to your layout. This includes any R8201 link wires that you might be using too (not that you should be using this Hornby product on a DCC layout).

All these power clip / track products contain suppression capacitors that corrupt DCC signals. Some decoders can be affected by these more than others and misinterpret DCC signals into things that they are not. They could potentially account for why your TT decoder is responding to a DCC packet that is not addressed to it.

You can easily modify these DC Analogue power products and convert them for DCC use by removing the capacitors. I highly recommend that you at least check for their presence and remove any that you find.

/media/tinymce_upload/94cc5650981194a971cb32f2f5245d3a.jpg

Before you replace the decoder Jossy, has the layout been operating ok with other locos than the 44 running and the TT behaving?  And does the TT motor only run when the 44 is running, run at similar speed variations to the 44 as you control it and stop when the 44 stops?

I‘m also thinking like Chris that a likely explanation is using DC power tracks or power clips.  You should check and modify any and all you are using as Chris suggests.  Any containing capacitors will be sitting there just waiting to trip you up at any time, TT or otherwise.

Archived