Wiring reverse loops in DCC

Mangoes

Do I still need these if I am using DCC?

Absolutely yes. The high level section between the two R618 isolating tracks is called a 'Reverse Loop'. On a DCC layout where the track is always live, the reverse loop will create a permanent 'short circuit' if the R618 track pieces are excluded. As a DCC powered layout you will need to add a 'Reverse Loop Module' if you want the 'short circuit' to be resolved automatically without further user intervention.

/media/tinymce_upload/8341b0a468037f6cef214dbf1b07ff05.jpg

For more information. Download my Reverse Loop Tutorial PDF from here:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/zaDwE2UHBI

When the page above opens click the file name in the top left corner to download.

TIP: As a relative newbie poster, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image.

Just a couple of points about this layout:

It has 2 derailment hotspots - the curved point top right (they are notorious for this and many avoid them entirely, made worse here as on a slope), and the inner loop connection to the reversing loop top left going from the curve to the point.

The slopes - I estimate they are in the order of 1 in 20.  Maximum modern locos are likely to handle are 1 in 40 or 50, especially on curves.  Set up a test slope and see how your locos go.

Hello,

I was going to build this layout in DCC and didn't know where to place the DPDT switches ( I assumed there was supposed to be at least one on the layout due to the reverse loop ). I also wasn't sure if I should have one or multiple power points. Thanks in advance.

htp029-hornby-8-13-convoluted-out-and-back-plus-oval-26720-p.jpg

You use DPDT switches for a reverse loop on a DC powered layout. On a DCC layout the switches are replaced by a RLM as I documented in your other post published yesterday.

See further above.

Archived