Help with Wiring up Hornby R8014 to Point decoder.

Anton Stedman

Hello,

I would apprieciate a diagram of how to wire up my Hornby Points Motors (all R8014) to a EZ Command Dynamis 4-output point decoder (that I have not bought yet).

I was hoping to get a ADS-8SX DCC Concepts Decoder but the product has not been in stock for about a year!

I was going to buy some R8243 Point Motors but have been told that they take more power so may not work with EZ Command Dynamis Decoder.

Also is the EZ Command Dynamis Decoder fitted with a CDU or can you add one to the circuit without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance. 😀

First things first, if an Accessory Decoder does not have an integrated CDU, then for most brand / models of accessory decoder you cannot add an external one directly to the Accessory Decoder. The only way it can be done, is to use the output of the Accessory Decoder to drive a relay, then use the contacts of the relay to operate the points via a CDU which then has to have its own dedicated and separate power supply. As you can see, this makes the solution both complicated and costly. Costly because you are building two point operating systems. A DC Analogue one, and a DCC Digital one to drive the other.

If the product that you have described as "EZ Command Dynamis 4-output point decoder (that you have not bought yet)" is actually this one (see image below). Then thank your lucky stars that you have not purchased it yet. The product is absolutely dire (probably why Hattons have it so heavily discounted as it doesn't sell) and attracts a very high degree of negative posts on this forum, particularly when used with Hornby products.

/media/tinymce_upload/2beffb9d49ab266fddc2c0fb584ca76a.jpg

No, this product does not have an integrated CDU, which is more than likely why it has issues. It is also very tempremental with regard to being configured with Hornby kit.

Do yourself a real favour and get something else.

With regard wiring. As a 'rule of thumb' all brands of Accessory Decoder that are designed for operating Solenoid point motors use three wires. A 'common return' usually a permanent +ve positive voltage, plus a switch left wire and a switch right wire. These two wires are 'switched negative' voltages.

The 'common' goes to the 'centre tap' of the R8014 motor (Black wire). The switch right wire usually goes to the R8014 Green wire and the switch left wire usually goes to the R8014 Red wire. If the point switches in the wrong direction, then just reverse the Red & Green wire connections on the Accessory Decoder port.

Just for information....PECO use the same three colours, but in the PECO colour scheme the Green wire is the 'Common Return'.

Wiring diagrams are here. Note that in these diagrams, the Accessory decoder is assuming a Hornby R8247 where the + terminal is the switch left wire and the - terminal the switch right.

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC_Page_2.html#Bookmark1

Sorry Chris, there are one or two point decoders that DO allow a CDU to be added, though I can't say for certain which they are.  I think one of the Lenz units is one of them.

PS.  I would also avoid the Bachmann/ESU point decoder, it is very finicky.

It happens to be a very good decoder and as such is very popular with a high demand for it. I'm sure it will return in stock at some time. I suspect that DCC Concepts just completely under-estimated the demand and have just sold out. Can't be sure, but if they use a Chinese factory for the production, then order lead times from China could be the cause of the lack of availabilty issue.

Archived