Point problems

I recently installed hornby surface mounted points on my layout but have been having problems with them, i'm not sure if it is rm, the decoder or the points it is only on 2 sets going between lines but they don't seem to want to work together e.g. if one is curved the other is straight. sometimes it works for about a second and goes back, i have checked if they are getting jammed on ballast and they aren't, i have also changed the polarity on rm but it doesn't do anything.

Firstly, in RailMaster on the track plan. Do the two points show the correct synchronised position indicators when operated from within RM. The bluey grey lines.

In other words. The plan indicators show the correct synchronised operation, but one of the actual physical points is opposite to the position shown on the plan.

Secondly, are both point motors wired to the same Accessory Decoder port in parallel OR does each point motor have its own dedicated Accessory Decoder port.

If the answer to Q1 is yes....one of the physical points is opposite to that shown on the plan AND the answer to Q2 is that both point motors are wired in parallel to the same Accessory Decoder port. Then the solution is to reverse the Green & Red wires on the Accessory Decoder that go to the point motor that is opposite to the track plan. Using the reversing check box in RM won't work, because in this scenario both points are wired to the same port, so you can't reverse just one point in isolation to the other.

If the above is not the solution to your issue. Then provide more information on exactly how you have wired up these two point motors to your Accessory Decoders, what DCC Addresses you are using for each point (the same address or a different address). Are you using RailMaster Pro edition or the Standard edition. The answer to all these questions are required if alternative solutions are to be identified.

Also, be aware that the Hornby R8243 Surface Mount point motor has a relatively flimsy case. If the mounting screws are overtightened, then the case can flex and cause the operating slug inside to stick. The fixing screws should be done up just enough to hold the motor in position, but loose enough to allow slight movement of the motor case on the baseboard to be felt under finger pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived