Man cave set up

Bill Green Badge

Hi. I'm about to build a multi purpose man cave for the entire family to use. I'm one of those people with a loft full of the old Scalextric stuff that I've collected over almost 40 years who has been intending to fix it down permanantly for all that time. Had a smallish track on a board as a kid and I'm keen to do it again but MUCH BIGGER.

I've got a blank canvass. An old 8'x12' shed is coming down and there's more room if I need it. I'm not a builder but I have a decent set of tools that I can use fairly proficiently. I need the whole family to be able to use it for other things so I really need the boarded track to lift away to the ceiling when not in use.  I'm not asking for building design plans, though they would be most welcome for consideration but has anybody done this that could give me pointers please? I intend it to be brick built/double glazed with proper electrics.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill - welcome to the forum.

That sounds very exciting! The good news is that thousands of people have dreamed of man caves like yours, many have designed them and quite a few have gone on to build them. Having a track board that winches into the ceiling is not unusual. A quick search of 'shed' or 'man cave' on Slot Forum brings up a few useful threads, this one being the most recent: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190557

Gareth's shed in post #7 of that thread is somewhere I've raced often. It's a great 18'x10' man cave: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129818

I suspect starting a topic on Slot Forum might be your best option for plenty of input. But do come back here and let us now how you get on - it might inspire other Scalextric fans to do something similar.

Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and the pointers. That's both very useful and interesting, though I now have more open-ended thoughts. My most significant consideration now is I suspect the current size won't be big enough but as I think about it, I think the shed is 10x12. There are some great photos in that lot and it's all quite inspiring. Unfortunately, I do have to replace the shed that's coming down before I do anything because I need somewhere to store the mower and garden furniture but that shouldn't hinder me unduly. I was hoping to get all this done by the start of the rugby world cup but that's optimistic to say the least.

I'll take pictures and keep a diary and hopefully it will be helpful to somebody else in the future.

Thanks again for the welcome and the info.

Regards

Bill

Archived