Point trouble

Geoffboy

Why do I get a momentary loss of power to everything inc a dcc engine when operating a motorised point.Im using Hornby points - point motor & switches.

Also issues with a new Lord Nelson dcc with sound loco,it makes sound but not movement,ive had it ested on a shops circuit where I bought it from and worked perfectly. My other dcc engine a Monarch with sound operates ok.

Look forward to some constructive help/

Many thanks

Geoff

Possible answer to the first part of your question.

Are you using a CDU to operate the points via the switch. If so are you powering the switch off the track power.

If not are you taking the power for the points off the DCC output of your controller.

You really need a CDU and you need to power it from the aux output from your controller if it has one or from either 12vdc or 16vac from a transformer. A CDU gives a strong pulse to move the point motor positively.

The switch should be a passing contact switch, not a on-off-on switch. The point motor should not be powered all the time only for enough time to move the point i.e.  passing contact switch.

Better still use a separate power supply for the CDU, then you aren't taking anything from the track supply.

What controller are you using, and what power supply? If it's the Select, and the 1 amp, there's your answer. Give it the 4 amp supply intended for the Elite AND a separate supply for the CDU.

I see from your other posts that you are using a Select DCC controller. If it is assumed that you are using the 15 volts DC auxiliary output of the Select to power your points and I also assume that you are not using a CDU [Capacitor Discharge Unit]. An additional assumption is that you are using the factory default 1 Amp power supply with the Select controller.

Then that is your answer. Solenoid point motors need a lot of current to operate robustly. So if the above assumptions are correct, then each time you try to operate a point motor, the current draw from the solenoid coils is starving the Select controller from operating current, causing the momentary loss of power to your layout.

Either insert a CDU between the Select 15 volt DC auxiliary output and the point operating switches (I also assume that you are not using DCC Accessory Decoders). Or better still do not use the Select power at all to operate your points. Provide an additional dedicated power supply and CDU to operate your points, so that every mA of the Select 1 Amp power supply is totally dedicated to just running trains.

As others have said, what operating switches are you using? You must use a 'passing contact' switch. These are equivalent to switches that are described as 'momentary action'. If however, the switches are Hornby R044 switches, then these are not 100% compatible for use with a CDU, in which case you would be better off using a high current 4 Amp or better power supply with either a 16 volt AC output or a 19 volt DC output.

To be honest, I really don't know why Hornby even bother to include an Aux output on the Select controller when using the 1 Amp supply......it just isn't worthwhile to use for directly operating Solenoid point motors.

The Select 15 VDC Aux output is not designed for that purpose. Hornby assume that users will be using DCC Accessory Decoders to operate their points when using a DCC Controller, and Accessory Decoders do not connect to the Aux output.

Although the aux output is perfectly adequate for use with a CDU, again Hornby do not include that possibility in their product portfolio plans. Firstly, Hornby do not make or sell stand-alone CDUs. And secondly, the only 'passing contact' switch [R044] Hornby sell is not 100% compatible with a CDU either.

With regard to your Lord Nelson issue.

I see that you have already raised two previous threads about it. The information about the Lord Nelson in this latest thread is slightly contradictory to the issues raised in the previous two.

Your other two threads also state that you have had your Select controller upgraded to version 1.6 firmware. In that case, I suggest that you write a value of 8 to CV8 to factory reset the decoder. If the reset is accepted, then the Lord nelson address will revert back to 03 from whatever it was you have previously changed it to.

Assuming that the reset is successfully implemented then test the Lord Nelson on the default 03 address first to make sure that it works on that address. If that test is successful, then and only then try to reinstate the DCC address you want to use.

Do remember though, with the Select controller it uses 'programming on the main' also referred to as 'operate mode programming'. Thus when you perform these CV write tasks, the Lord nelson must be the only loco that is connected to the output of the Select controller. It is advisable to temporarily disconnect the main layout from your Select and connect a short programming track piece to your Select output instead. Then place your Lord Nelson on that track piece to perform the CV writing and testing tasks.

I see also from one of your other threads that you have removed the suppression capacitors from your previously analogue power connectors. If you have more than one track power clip, say for example a R8201 link wire, then check all the power clips for capacitors and remove any & all that are found.

TIP: I write long posts. If you intend to write a reply, it would be appreciated if you didn't use the 'White Arrow in Blue Box' button. This is not a 'Reply to this post button. It is best to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the very bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Archived