using select for points and elite for trains ,is this possible?

dutchman

Yes, but the outputs of the Select and the Elite must never come in electrical contact with each other. So if the Select is currently connected to the track, then that connection must be removed. See sketch below for details:

/media/tinymce_upload/76e3000f34c4d7f37e2290b4881161ee.jpg

Some additional notes.

1. The R8247 is Hornby's 4 port Accessory Decoder for 3 wire Solenoid Point Motors. The Hornby R8247 needs to be set up on a dedicated 'Programming' connection, one decoder at a time. Thus, Accessory Decoder 1 would be configured as 61 to 64, Accessory Decoder 2 as 65 to 68 etc. Other non Hornby brands of Accessory Decoders can be used. These other brands are typically 'self learning' decoders and easier to set up.
  2. The Select has restricted DCC addresses that must be used for operating points in the range 61 to 99. The default factory installed address of a Hornby R8247 is 1 to 4, so using R8247s with a Select require even the initial first decoder that is installed to be re-configured. The 1 to 4 default addresses will work as the initial first decoder using an Elite without further modification.
  3. Before someone else mentions it. You could use the Select with the Elite in 'Walkabout Mode'. This would allow the Elite to still be dedicated to operate locos, whilst the Select is dedicated to operate points in the 61 to 99 address range. But your suggested connection (sketch above) is a better option as the operation of the R8247 Accessory Decoders are then totally isolated from the effects of any transient short circuits that occur on the running layout. Not only that, but 'Walkabout Mode' only functions when using a common shared power supply, whereas your suggested option allows all the power of the Elite supply to be used for running trains. Thus, 'Walkabout Mode' is not detailed further in this reply.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Particularly as my reply includes an image. If you use the blue button, any reply you write, may be held back for image approval. Even though it is already a previously published image. And as it is currently Friday afternoon, if you use the 'Blue' button, your reply probably won't appear until Monday.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I recommend using switches for point operation rather than DCC, much easier and quicker to use.

I would only use DCC for point operation if I was using, or considering using, computer control, where DCC point control is virtually essential for automatic running.

Archived