More Power For My Layout?

Hi chaps. Getting to fixing track / drop wires and points. Just wondering if my 1amp eLink will be sufficient? I probably won't be running more than 4 trains at once maximum. The layout is not massive  and will have a maximum 20 points operating via Railmaster also - although as you don't use all the points at once I'm guessing that doesn't matter much?

Am I right in thinking if I do need to up the amps to 4 I just need a suitable power Supply for the eLink? 

Also, the point decoder (Hornby), can this be connected directly to the bus wire where required? 

....need a suitable power Supply for the eLink?

The official Hornby 4Amp power supply for the eLink is the P9300.

/media/tinymce_upload/d0039d5dbcbaf41e6652705a65731b84.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/b47efba17b7295551babaee753a2f3a6.jpg

Also, the point decoder (Hornby), can this be connected directly to the bus wire where required

Yes, but do make it able to be quickly disconnected. Should you need to factory reset it at some time. Highly probable as these R8247 Hornby decoders are prone to being corrupted by transient track short circuits. To perform a 'factory reset' you have to disconnect the decoder from the DCC track supply and connect it to the eLink 'PROG A&B' eLink output and 'factory reset' by writing 8 to CV8. With eLink and RM, this has to be done by treating the R8247 as a loco and using the loco CV writing screen. Something I have done more than once.

HRMS have reported in the past that they run their extensive test layout with eLink and 1 Amp supply.  Then again, we know from reports on here that there are some glitches seen with the 1 Amp not seen with the 4 Amp.

4 locos together under load will have the 1Amp near the edge, 4 sound locos, probably over it. But there is no problem with trying it.  If you are getting overloads showing up with normal running, then you can upgrade to the 4.

You are right about the point motors/decoders not mattering much in the scheme of things although inrush current on startup with certain decoders can be a problem.  Not a problem if you are thinking the 8247 but suggest you do some research before deciding on them.  Chris has already given you some clues on them.