newbie help - GT interactive RMS

BarnetSeagull

Hi all.

I've had a Porsche GT interactive RMS scalextric set from 1998 ish at in a cupboard for the past few years (along with a few other bits and bobs) as something to have fun with when I had kids.  I now have a 6 year old who I'd like to introduce to it.  I realise that the RMS system is now a little bit out of date, so wondering what i should do.

Is it worth buying new digital and selling my old stuff or is the 20 year old kit salvageable via a little modification and a few purchases

Thanks in advance.

Hi BarnetSeagull - welcome to the forum!

The GT Interactive set was in the 2003 catalogue, so it is only 16 years old ;-)

The track in the set is the current Sport track system, so compatible with the current track, cars and accessories. The controllers are an older design, but are perfectly good - replacements are still available if you need them.

As for RMS, you will ideally need an old computer or laptop with a serial port and running Windows 95 or 98/98SE. I seem to remember that the software doesn't much like more recent operating systems. It's not a bad race management system, if a little dated.

If you wanted to update the RMS to one of the current App Race Control (ARC) systems, you would need one of the upgrade kits. ARC One and ARC Air are for traditional 'analogue' racing - that means one car per lane - and all you need is the upgrade kit. ARC Pro is the digital system - running up to six cars on two lanes with lane changing and a dedicated pit lane. To convert to digital requires the ARC Pro upgrade kit, lane changers, a pit lane and a digital chip in each car. Details of what the different ARC systems do can be found here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/sets/app-race-control-arc.html

For a car to work with any of the ARC systems it will need a black guide - I think the Porsches in your set might have blue guides? If so, black replacement guides are available.

I hope that helps!

• 3 months later...