Oxford Rail Adams Southern Locomotive

ColinB

I did think of that, but there are components near the edge, but never good idea on a PCB could crack a track while you were doing it. The issue is it offset, if they had put the connector in the middle of the board it would be ok. Its alright, it fitted in my Brighton Belle, so I didn't waste my money. I am pretty sure a gaugemaster should fit, if not I will modify it to take a six pin, which are much smaller.

I was taking my Heljan class 47 apart to lubricate it, I found I put a Laisdcc decoder in it. Anyway it is a direct connection one with 8 pins coming out the circuit board, anyway, it also fits. I used it in the class 47 as there is minimal headroom and the Laisdcc direct connected one is of minimum height. 

I thought anyone that owns one these locos would like to know this. I tried the gaugemaster omni DCC decoder and surprisingly it was about 0.5 mm too tall, how other people have got this to work I don't know, unless they shortened the mounting studs. Anyway, I mailed Oxfords and they came back with some US one that no one seems to stock here. So I mailed YouChoos, they always seem to know more that most people. Anyway they came back to me and said fit one one their smaller decoders, that was when I realised. The coal in the coal bunker lifts out to reveal a small slot to fit the decoder, it is obviously meant for it as it has cooling holes drilled in. The coder has to be relatively small but that is how it fits. Surprisingly Oxford said nothing about it, and I found no instructions in the box.

Now I think about it I did in fact have to shorten the mounting studs to fit the Omni direct but that was not difficult.......but it is irritating to discover there is a way of installing a standard decoder without resorting to surgery yet the manufacturer fails to provide necessary instructions.........HB

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you might be interested in the long running saga of this loco, I managed to damage 3 dcc decoders trying to get this to work on dcc, it works perfectly on dc. Anyway I noticed the DCC socket board had a fault on it and I think the motor connection was touching the loco wheel on bends, because of a large solder connection, hence how come it took a long time to find (and the dead dcc decoders, they would work for a bit then die). The nice people at Oxford mailed me a new dcc socket circuit board, so I fitted it, along with a standard Hornby dcc decoder. It works perfectly (fingers crossed). So basically once you know that the bunker coal is removable to reveal a location for the dcc decoder, and yours doesn't have electrical issues then the job is really easy.