Class 37 tts chip problem.

davey62

Just wondering if anyone can offer a glimmer of hope to the following fault. Hornby class 37 ring field motor with tts sound. So new brushes and springs fitted, wheels cleaned, pickups cleaned, all soilered joints checked, So the problem is sound is working fine as are all functions, the problem is that it just runs very poorly.

I am on a learning curve with programming so my question is there anything i can do to improve motor performance. The loco runs terrible stop start juddering on all speeds below position 3 on a hornby elite controler.

It is deffinatly a decoder problem as when fitting anorther brand of cheaper decoder it runs perfect. This is a new decoder but sadly purchased over 12months ago and  he cut the plug of when fitting it so dont think there is a lot I can with trying to get a replacement.

I guess it is a total scrap decoder but hoping someone might have a fix thanks.

This is so common, that there are posts about it on a weekly basis. The latest one prior to yours (made earlier today) is linked below:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tts-decoders-29088/?p=1

No disrespect intended, but a quick forum search on "jerky" and/or "judder" would most likely have found some posts in the rich posted history of this well documented issue. As the solution is a CV modification, then you need a controller that can write CVs.

This issue would be top of the list if this forum had a FAQ section. Believe me the ComMods have tried to get Hornby to implement one that we can manage ourselves, but so far the request has fallen on deaf ears.