Merchant class 35020 Valve gear.

RileyFlyer

Hi Guy's need some help.  I bought a 350202 Merchant Class the other year on e-bay for my son.  Only recentky got arround to looking at it and found missing valve gear on one side!  Searching all over for replacement but cant find any - all out of stock and appear to have beenn like that for some time.  I think the part No is X8848?  Any ideas where I might get a replacement set?

Hello, looking at your blog and relative newness to OO gauge, you might like to consider that this valve gear item is no longer being produced, as with some other Hornby valve gears that I can't get, more's the pity.

Don't know for sure but it might end your frustration if others on this forum with the same X8848 problem could confirm my thoughts.

Let's hope I am wrong.

I suppose it highlights how relatively fragile they are, and perhaps how some people 'handle' their locomotives incorrectly, gripping them via the wheels / linkages, risking deforming them.

This may have happened, the linkage jammed, bent, not straightened .... minus one side's valvegear linkages.

Al.

I know the feeling, I tried everywhere to replace mine. In the end I had to buy a second hand set + wheels off EBay. Hornby are a discrace, I recently had to get some spare parts for a 30 year old Bachmann loco which Bachmann supplied without issue. So why is it Hornby cannot supply spare parts, mind you I have not checked to see if Bachmann do spare parts for their current models. I even tried to repair mine with parts from some other scrap valve gear, but it didn't work. On mine it was the piston slider that broke, while trying to fit a DCC chip, it appears they were originally made of marzan (not sure of spelling) which is really brittle. Joke of it is they still produce this model, so why no spares?

According to a post I read yes they did use mazak as did Amal on carburetors for motorcycles. The post I read said that it was prone to cracking. On the Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class the sliders are metal, and on the early ones mazak, I don't know what they use now. 

Is this a rebuilt Merchant Navy, I did a Google but couldn't find it? If it is, on my broken valve gear the right hand side is OK, but the actual value gear comes as both left and right rivetted to a plate, if you are any good at rivetting you can have it for free.

• 2 months later...

Is this a rebuilt Merchant Navy, I did a Google but couldn't find it? If it is, on my broken valve gear the right hand side is OK, but the actual value gear comes as both left and right rivetted to a plate, if you are any good at rivetting you can have it for free.

Not sure what you mean Colin, but the loco looks legitimate in its packaging etc, just lacking the valve gear.  If your still willing to send your valve gear I am up for the challenge of riveting etc.  It might work?

How do we do this without breaking formun rules on personal information?

Hornby are not getting a good name - it seams. I wonder hwo the CEO is?  He / She should follow comments on the formun!

@RileyFlyer There are two types of Merchant Navy class, the original and what they call the rebuilt ones. I think it was in the early 60's that they took the original, removed the streamlining  and rebuilt the boiler. The rebuilt one has more complicated valve gear. I better have another look and see if I still have it. Have you tried contacting Hornby to see if they intend selling them again. When mine broke I contacted them and they said ask in a months time, that was about 9 months ago, but you never know. I get the impression that Hornby are trying to improve their act, but it is taking a long time. To give them a bit of sympathy, it is a bit difficult rebuilding a business when the previous owners did their best to trash it ( destroying tooling etc).

Unfortunately, the quality of the valve gear seemed to go through a bad patch in the early 2000s. 

We sold a vast collection of model railway items on behalf of a widow in 2015, raising about £7000 for the Bluebell. Amongst it all was a Hornby R2267 Brocklebank Line, which I bought. This moved a few inches before trying to wreck the valve gear on one side. A fruitless search ensued trying to track down the elusive X8848. My assumption is that the spare part was sold out long ago owing to the valve gear on the otherwise great model sometimes being poorly made.

On a postive note, the model is currently available as R3617 so, you never know, X8848 may yet reappear.

Fortunately for me, by removing the connecting rod betwen the driving wheels and the front valve gear, my model ran fine and, unless it is crawling along, you forget about the missing parts.

In your case, you sound as though a lot more is missing. All I can do is sympathise. Don't give up though. It is surprising what turns up unexpectedly. However, people on Ebay and the like know that the parts you want are very rare so you may be better putting the model to one side for the moment and getting something else. The other (drastic) option is to consider splitting the model into parts such as the tender, the body and the chassis and trying to sell them on Ebay. It is surprising how much individual parts can go for but I prefer to keep models as who;e as I can and preferably working.

On a more general note, I have found Hornby to be very fair when the fault is obviously theirs rather than that of a secondhand seller.