4 player

Rutter85

I'm looking at building a scalextric set for my nephews and nieces but want to try and be able to have them all racing at the same time. Is it possible & if so how, can I build a track so all four can race at the same time as can't see any prebuilt sets

Hi Rutter85 - welcome to the forum.

What you are describing is a Scalextric digital layout. That will let you race up to six cars on the track at the same time. There is lane-changing, overtaking, pit stops and the ARC app which has lots of exciting features to add to the gameplay.

There are two ARC Pro sets currently available - C1388 Sunset Speedway with three cars and a pitlane, or C1404 Le Mans 24 hours with two cars and no pitlane. If you want to run 4 cars, it is a case of adding extra ARC controllers and digital cars to the set. Or some retailers like Jadlam Toys & Models still have the 4-car + pitlane C1374 ARC Pro Platinum GT set, which might be ideal. With four cars you will need an extra power transformer and the pitlane. All that is included in the Platinum GT set.

The digital sets are not cheap and they are designed for racers over 8 years old. If your budget is more modest and/or your nieces and nephews younger than 8, there are still ways to get them all involved. It will mean picking a set to suit their ages and your budget from the Scalextric range: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/our-ranges-explained

One way of racing four people with one set is to organise team races - so two people share one car, swapping halfway through the race. Another way would be to have a car each and to race against the clock two at a time - the racer with the most laps after two minutes is the winner etc. You could have four, six, eight or more people taking part. When racers aren't on the track, they can be involved by re-slotting the cars - like a track marshal - or counting down the time, reading out the laps etc. That's how we did it when I was young - with a brother, two sisters, my dad and various neighbours all squeezing into the living room.

I hope that helps - do ask any more questions!