Decoder recomendation

L757

Hi.  Returned to this hobby after 50 years. I've bought a pug loco from hattons £14.99 to have a go at installing a decoder. If I manage it I need to do this years club model and an 040 from the night mail set.  I understand space is a concern and I've seen several small decoders advertised. Bearing in mind that these are all simple locos, is there a suggetion for a decoder that would be easy to install and suit all three.  Thanks

If space is tight I use 6 pin Decoders. Zimo do a really small one, although it is expensive. They also do a budjet one which I have used. In an old Replica Terrier I used the super small one as it was the only one that fitted in the available space. 

@L757.......if you are not likely to need lights on your locos then the Hornby X9659 4 pin decoder is ideal ........it does have a fitted socket which will need to be cut off and the four wires soldered in place.........there is plenty of space inside the Club shunter model.......the X9659 is out of stock with most retailers but a Google search did turn up some in stock at around £14.50........HB

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see the cheaper Hornby decoders as a pre order and the zimo looks good but is a bit more. Hattons do a cheap own brand and gaugemaster a cheap 4 pin. Any knowledge of either of these

Thanks for the suggestions. I can see the cheaper Hornby decoders as a pre order and the zimo looks good but is a bit more. Hattons do a cheap own brand and gaugemaster a cheap 4 pin. Any knowledge of either of these

I have used about 20 of the Hattons decoders. Only comment is RailMaster won't always read them back, but nevertheless they do work. I also like the fact you can correct the speed with CV5 and CV6, which is great for a decoder in this price range.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using LAIS decoder chips for a while and they work fine. But if you want to connect a Stay Alive then you need to buy the KungFu version at about £12.50. I have used a KungFu with the LAIS Large Stay Alive on an old Lima Western class loco and it zips over every point, even the large radius Hornby curved points which are the most prone to sticking locos.