Airfix 1/72 Westland Sea King HAR 3 Old Tool

Pretty Mediocre Modeller

This is another kit that was built several years (decades) ago, and has recently come down from the loft for a bit of a refurb.

A lot of extra detail was added using various bits and pieces of plastic. Unfortunately the rotor head has taken a bit of a bashing and the blades are drooping a bit to much!

/media/tinymce_upload/d567c3f0ff4dcd9dfbe05925ca1a58ee.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/b9682c5101197b189c42e19b3dc5f7c0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2dc1438b1dcfa28a90c039994c6abd24.jpg

The droop looks ok to me. It's not a bad kit... I built one pretty well then had a complete balls up with a 2nd one. The side windows just refused to fit properly. The new version is a league ahead though.

btw what's the story with an all grey RAF rescue version?

btw what's the story with an all grey RAF rescue version?

The grey was painted onto RAF Sea Kings over the usual yellow when they were sent to the Falkland Islands after the 1982 war. As it was still officially a war zone they couldn't have bright yellow helicopters buzzing around.At the time I lived near RAF Manston which had a flight of two 202 sqn Sea Kings, and quite often they would have one yellow and one ex Falklands grey machine.

The Dark Grey Sea King HAR3‘s were indeed used by 78 Sqn in the Falkland Islands, one of their other distinguishing features was the RWR fairings on the nose and under the tail boom. Sea King HAR3 XZ586 (from memory) in Dark Grey with RWR equipment was allocated to D Flt 202 Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth as late as June 2003 before leaving the Sqn for a major servicing at St. Mawgan - I believe the RWR was removed and she returned to service with a shiny yellow paint job. 

One of the first jobs I did on this cab was to replace the upper personnel door with a part robbed from the other standby cab - which was yellow - until parts for the original door were received, for a few days in late 2002 she flew with a multi-coloured personnel door. In June 2003 I spent a week in Benbecula changing her main rotor gearbox in the open air because there were no hangars.