TTS Sound 8 pin to 21 pin socket ?.

DonnyRailMan

The right hand one plugs into your loco and TTS plugs into that. There may be head room problems getting the body and other make similar lower profile adapters are available.

/media/tinymce_upload/ea9e93b0391f4841d4bb084bad9d01ba.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention, Before you solder the 8 pin connector straight to the board, check that the TTS works, by running the loco with the tender top removed and the 8 pin TTS into the 8 pin socket on the adapter. Just in case there is an issue with the TTS, I have had two now where the sound doesn't work properly (TTS Britannia and Cock of the North).

No, That looks like all the rest. The eight pin socket is a turned pin socket which is about 4 to 5 mm high and sits proud of the board, so when you add the 8 pin header from TTS with the wires, it sits too high. The eight pin socket needs to be of the type Hornby fit to their models, flush with the circuit board. The only issue then is whether there is enough room underneath. Amazingly on a lot of Bachmann models, there is really only enough height to add a 21 pin decoder board, so by adding an adapter you have reached your height limit. I think the diesels are the same.

Only repeating what their blurb said Colin.

Specifically mentions TTS and Bachmann locos.

An extra slim 21 pin adaptor which will help you fit a Hornby TTS decoder (or any other 8 pin decoder) to a 21 pin model. It’s particularly useful when fitting Hornby TTS decoders into a Bachmann model. These will fit in the class 20, 37, 47 and 66 as well as any other 21 pin models.

In addition they feature on Richard Crofts sales page who has used them in his conversions. He may be along to confirm their use.

No, That looks like all the rest. The eight pin socket is a turned pin socket which is about 4 to 5 mm high and sits proud of the board, so when you add the 8 pin header from TTS with the wires, it sits too high. The eight pin socket needs to be of the type Hornby fit to their models, flush with the circuit board. The only issue then is whether there is enough room underneath. Amazingly on a lot of Bachmann models, there is really only enough height to add a 21 pin decoder board, so by adding an adapter you have reached your height limit. I think the diesels are the same.

Thank you for the information Colin. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have an apology to make, it appears on some Bachmanns they do work. I bought a Bachmann class 66 loco and I had a spare TTS decoder from a replacement that Hornby gave me. On the class 66, because of the roof profile it does indead fit, there is just enough space because of the peaked roof. The thing they also don't mention, if you want aux1 to work, you need to bridge two pads on the adapter. It actually tells you on the PCB, I only noticed when I was trying to work out why aux1, didn't work. 

I wondered if it would work on a class 47, as when Hornby release a new batch it was on my list to modify mine. It definitely did not work in a Bachman A1 with the chip in the tender. The class 47 has a curved roof, so it gives a bit extra between the mounting position on the top of the weight and the roof. I used the LaisDCC one, I will have a look at the DCC concepts one.

As Howard says - an easy job.

Decoder sits athwartships in a sleeve under the tape to avoid the speaker. Home brew led lighting fitted...

/media/tinymce_upload/dc32408248b36eeb545ec8386c1d89ca.jpg

Resistor board with a bank of 1K ohm SMDs.

/media/tinymce_upload/f9bd666b3d071678683214ea9719946d.jpg

Job done..

/media/tinymce_upload/2ff7f955ad746b45a8ece1b4a278b061.jpg