Class 66 TTS failure

ColinB

Running my Hornby Class 66 round the layout and it was running perfectly OK, it did about 2 loops then it suddenly stopped. I thought just a dirty piece of track, but no the TTS unit had failed. When I opened it up, the TTS decoder was a bit warm but no burning smell. Powered everything down and then started again, TSS decoder make a copule of gurgled noises then stopped. I bought the unit in April, I ran it a couple of times when I bought it, but why now. I raised a repair request with Hornby, anyone else had issues. This is the third one that has failed, the other two were dead from new. If it was something I was doing wrong like shorting rail voltage to it, then I could accept it, but in all cases I did nothing wrong.

Hi colin make sure the decoder is not touching any metal surfacers 

and all wire joints are isolated 

If you refer to Colin’s other posts on much the same subject you will see it was a duff motor capacitor that went short and killed the decoder.

Colin please try to keep it all on the same track, so I can keep up.

Sorry, I raised this one first, then noticed the other one in lowercase. Anyway, I bought new TTS decoder, tested loco with cheap dcc decoder that I could afford to lose (old Bachmann that is awful), and yes it works perfectly. I sent the broken one back for repair. I will fit it when it returns into my new class 59, which I have removed the capacitor from.