Decoders just don’t fit

mongaman

Hi my first post!

i have recently bought some DCC ready locos, one being the collectors edition H class.I bought the Hornby decoders for each loco but found there is not enough room, Am I doing something wrong?

I also bought the TTS decoder for the tornado, which is the railroad model and again it does not fit! 

The third loco is the BR M7 class 0-4-4T, and again the space for a decoder is very too tight for any Hornby decoders

Help please

thanks

I can only comment on the Tornedo, if you look under the chimney to the front of the loco there is a plastic tube. The decoder should just about fit here. In the case of TTS you will need to get a small sugar cube speaker and bin the Hornby one, as it won't fit. Alternatively you could do is buy a 4 pin lead and put it all in the tender, but you will need to do some electrical work to rework the pickups and motor wires to the tender.. If you really get stuck, Zimo do a really small decoder that will fit. I found that other than the ones that fit in the tender, it is a real pain trying to fit a decoder inside a Hornby Loco, unless it is an A4 (there is quite a lot of room in these). If it a really small loco and Hornby do it with decoder fitted option, then that is what I buy, it saves the agro.

There has been a lot of forum chat (here and on other forums) about decoder installation in the tight H class loco.

TTS decoder retro kits are designed to drop into post TTS design tender locos. Any else installations have to be modelled in. The generic instructions point out that modelling skills are required. There are just too many loco variants for a one-size fits all Plug and Play kit.

There is space in the Tornado between the bulkhead and the flywheel to stick a 'sugar cube' speaker.........various makes and sizes from YouChoos, Zimo & Rail Exclusive.........HB

Thanks I’ll look into this. Shame it doesn’t show how to fit the decoder in the instructions

... Shame it doesn’t show how to fit the decoder in the instructions

The service sheet is your best bet to see how a TTS decoder is installed, where there is a TTS variant for any particular model. Obviously earlier service sheets will not show speaker installations or even a decoder socket in many cases.

You can then compare the service sheets with your particular model and work out an installation plan. I did write up an expanded guide but as with other things we await it to be published on the forum. i may just stick it on my website instead.

• 3 weeks later...

The TCS DP2X-UK will fit into the Hornby Adams Radial.  One thing to look out for with this loco is that the socket was incorrectly wired at the factory on some of the earlier models. Even though I had to re-wire mine - not to difficult job - it is a terrible runner when the body is replaced. I need to have a another look at it, but for the moment I've given up on it.