R8215 Decoders and Railmaster

I have a problem when reviewing/changing settings on Locos that have R8249 (or ESU Lok) decoders in them (i.e., NOT R8215 decoders).

There are 5 or 6 locos in my system that have the older R8215 decoders fitted. When using Railmaster to view or

change the the CV settings, all works fine until Railmaster begins to interrogate CV29 of the loco on the programming track. At that point, all R8215 fitted locos on the main track start running at maximum speed and I have to disconnect power to the Elite

to stop them. Elite SW Version is 1.4, and the Railmaster version is current.

Is this just an issue with R8215 decoders, or is there a wider problem? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,

Codge

Try

changing the settings by using the Elite in the normal way, without railmaster connected.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay.

I was viewing via Railmaster the CVs of a non R8215 loco that was on the programming track when all of the R8215 locos on the main track moved off - rapidly. One (and only one) of the R8215 locos

which was address 6 has reverted to address 3 after the above situation. I cannot change the address - either via the Elite direct or via Railmaster. When trying with the Elite direct, the red LED flashes about 9 times, but the address stays as 3. I suspect

that the R8215 decoders may not be that stable.

Apart from replacing the R8215 decoders, does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately neither suggestion worked. I suspect that there is an issue with the 8215 decoder which is stopping the Elite from reading the settings - let alone being able to write them. I have no problem reading/writing R8249 or LOK/ESU

decoders - only the R8215.

I thought I was having some success writing 8 to CV8 because the Elite red LED flashed about 5/6 times which is normal - when trying any other write operation it flashes 9 times. Unfortunately I was mistaken, and I can't

seem to write anything to the R8215 decoder. I suspect I may have to replace it with something newer.

Thanks again for your help,

Codge

• 2 weeks later...
R8215 Decoder - General Description

Note: This decoder has now been superseded by the R8249 4 function decoder. The R8215 is a basic 4 function decoder; it does not support the following features:

1) Railcom
2) Interrogation. ****

Late version decoders manufactured after November 2007 have the ability to be read in “REG” mode. These later decoders are identified by a red dot painted on the MCU chip on the circuit board. Older versions of the decoder either have no painted dots, or a

white paint dot.

The R8215 supports the following CVs

CV1 - Loco Address default is 3 Range 1-127 (No long Address Support)
CV3 - Acceleration default is 5 Range 0-255
CV4 - Deceleration default is 5 Range 0-255

CV29 - the

following bits are supported:
Bit0 - Default Direction - default is 0 (normal)
Bit1 - Speed stepping - default is 1 (128)

Current Capability
Motor Output - 500mA Continuous, 1A peak for very short durations.
Function Outputs -

100mA each x4 - the total current capability of the decoder is 500mA continuous shared between all outputs.

Please note: Hornby DCC ready locos are fitted with the same decoder that is available as our solo decoder sold as the R8215. These locos use

3 variations of the R8215 decoder. In some cases there will be a 4 pin connector where only basic motor control is required. In the case of the Pendolino a 7 pin connector is used allowing lighting control. Other locos will have an 8 pin NMRA type connector.

Archived