Programming issues

James3650

Hello all, 

Please bear with me as I am new to this. 

I have started a new train set and have the bellow controller. 

Hornby DCC select controller - R8213

I have a summerset bell, and flying Scotsman train set up as chanel 01 and 02 running perfectly. 

However I am having a few issues with 2 other trains that both have the same problem.

I have an R3292 BR black 0-4-0, and a R3370 TTS king class train. They are both fitted with an 8 pin mini NEM 652 decoder.

I have tried to program these to channels 03 and 07, they have a small burst of power when first placed on the track and then nothing. They won't accelerate in either direction. I have tried programming these to other channels and reprogrammed them to the same channel repeatedly but cant seem to get them to run. 

Would really appreciate and feedback or help that anyone can offer.

Thank you in advance.

What is the firmware revision number of your select?

The firmware revision number is displayed as the very first two digit number on the screen when you power the Select up. The current firmware is 16

If your firmware is old and if particular version 11 then that probably accounts for your issue. The Select firmware has been updated over the years to add support for a greater range of non Hornby decoders and improved support for Hornby branded decoders too. I am assuming here that your reference to 'mini NEM652' decoder is a non Hornby decoder. If this is just your terminology for a Hornby R8249 decoder, then it would help if you used the official Hornby part numbers to describe your decoders.

There is typically a 'one off' return to Hornby firmware upgrade charge of £15 plus your sending postage costs.

The current version 16 firmware gives you the previously unavailable capability to write to all CVs. Prior to version 16, CV writing was very limited.

TTS locos have Hornby factory fitted sound decoders in them. To get the best out of a TTS decoder using a Select, you need version 15 or higher firmware.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Before doing anything else, try resetting your Select.  This is known to cure many unusual problems.  Your locos will still be programmed with their existing addresses and will not be affected by resetting the Select.

Also, it is recommended that you do not use address 03 for your locos as this is the standard address that all new decoders have from the factory.

Evening Chris

Thanks for your response. 

The decoder is a hattons decoder and doesn't have an R number. 

However my select auto setting when it starts up is 03, so guessing I need to get this updated. 

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated

The decoder is a Hattons decoder and doesn't have an R number. 

However my select auto setting when it starts up is 03, so guessing I need to get this updated.

Its a pity that instead of just saying 'mini NEM652' decoder, you could have said that it is Hatton's decoder. Then we could have advised you that there are lots of posts on this forum describing programming issues with Hatton's decoders (use the 'search' function and search "Hattons" to find some of them). It is quite OK to mention other brand names on this forum as part of a technical discussion. The Hattons decoders are known to have issues with the Select early firmwares.

Look at this page and give us the Hattons decoder product code to review.

You are not watching the Select LCD screen early enough when powering it up. 03 is the last number to be displayed in a three number sequence. Hornby controllers always end on 03. This 03 is the default DCC ID address.

When you power up the Select, you have to be quick. The numbers do not stay on the screen for long. So you have to watch the screen as you apply the power.

The number sequence is as follows: nn followed by 30 followed by 03.

It is the nn number that denotes the firmware revision. This number will fall somewhere in the range between 10 and 16. The next number (30) is the Select board revision. The last number (03) is the DCC ID address that is pre-selected at the end of the powering up sequence.