Britannia tender removal

jeremy_page

I'm trying to fit a TTS decoder to my DCC ready Britannia (Earl Haig). But at the moment getting the tender body separated from the chassis is defeating me!

I tried to undo the 2 retaining screws towards the rear of the tender that are supposed to allow the body to  be released, but the screws were so so tight that all I succeeded in doing was chewing up the heads. I have now drilled out the 2 screws completely and can  get a screwdriver right through the holes into the void, but still the body won't budge. It is almost as if the body has been glued in place ??

All suggestions welcome .

If never moved before, all tender 'lids' are generally quite tight.

Do you know the 'R' reference / which model it is?

Generally, they should pull off, but might need a slight longitudinal tug. Best confirm with the relevant Hornby Service Sheet first.

Be careful with the coal bunker if it's a recent one, they're quite fragile!!

Al.

Go to Help & Advice and select Service sheets. You need to look at HSS 289D. From memory the screws removed then the body has 6 press fix "clip ins". Mine are all packed away and not easily accessable. I think a gentle squeeze and upward pull, of the sides will give enough movement to release the body from the chassis.

Mnay thanks for speedy reply. The R number is 3295. The service sheet that came with it (I bought it new) does indicate that once the 2 screws are removed it should come free with a slight downward movement, but I am fearful of damaging the assembly by exerting too much force.

On some Hornby Tenders  ( the later ones) the tender bodies require a gentle push to the back before moving the lid upwards whilst holding the chassis, (  once the fixing screw(s) have been removed ...  always be firm but gentle !! )

Derek

If it it is for the speaker then consider a sugar cube type in the loco !!

• 2 weeks later...

I think if I remember I had this on my ones. Check round the front of the tender it gets stuck here. It is supposed to lift and push back, but I remember mine was stuck at the front. Trouble is if you are like me you don't want to push too hard for fear of breaking the tender. I think if I rember there are some levers that you need to ease off.