Smoke deflectors on HST

ColinB

When did Hornby add a smoke deflector on the HST? I have a really old HST and I was upgrading it to DCC with directional lights. To get a better power bogie as mine didn't work very well, I bought a second hand power car as it was the same price as just the bogie, and I could use some of the other bits. I noticed the new "Virgin" one had a smoke deflector whereas mine did not. I got one on that popular auction site to upgrade mine, but I just wondered in the real world if the HSTs didn't have them initially, or did Horny not model them originally to save money.

Hi ColinB, It seems with regards to the later super detailed HST offerings, Hornby has produced them with and without the exhaust deflectors.

This new tooling came out in 2008, one of the first issues was R2702, Intercity Executive.Produced with deflectors.

The two latest releases R3685, GWR, has deflectors fitted.

R3802, LNER, does not have deflectors fitted.

It will take me time to check all my other earlier HSTs, i.e. from 1978 tooling.

Photos hopefully shows with and without deflectors.

/media/tinymce_upload/b88b64d80997445136b5621c67870cd0.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f74294c4440ca26139e89f59686a5e75.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/229dafa09f22459be9c769219edadac1.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/5856f0fdedb92f5c0c0d92befb27f315.JPG

I was going to start a new thread with the title as R1230 & R3608, and do a review of both items, with plenty of pictures.Also comparing earlier Superdetailed versions as a comparison.

These are the two new ones just released, and many may be interested to see what they are like.

As nearly always happens my photos come onto the wider web with a Hornby.Com tag.Hence if those numbers were googled it would show them,and direct the searcher to the relevent Hornby thread.

If I put them on this thread it would take the 'Google searcher' to this thread, and not a dedicated thread just dealing with the new release HSTs.

Like many on the forum, my pictures go straight througth.

Looking at pictures in my Class 43 HST book the exhaust deflectors just did not work as the nose is dirty on all variants of the prototype.

I will dig the book out and show a couple of examples another day, as I have to sort the reindeer food out.