TTS controller chips limited supply

Sumplug

I think Hornby actually create the shortage by producing limited batches. Someone on this site said that they have to order them in batches from their supplier. I can believe they do that but I think they actually create the shortage. The TTS electronics is going to be the same for each different loco, the only difference is the signature "blown" into the memory and the type of loudspeaker supplied. So as long as they have the recording there is no reason not to just keeping making a certain flavour of TTS decoder. Either Hornby are Engineering short batch runs to make them desirable or they are being pulled a fast one by their supplier. Hornby are basically a mechanical engineering firm so they probably "outsource" all their electronics and are at the beck and call of their suppliers. It is not unusual, I was a electronics/software engineer working for an automotive company and you would be amazed how many times we were told something was not possible, when really they just didn't want to do it. Have you noticed how towards the end of its release as it becomes more difficult to get a particular type, the price goes up, hence why I think they have limited batches.I suppose the only other thing is Hornby do not want to do a run of 5000 units, and only sell a 100, and be left with the rest. Some though like the class 47 would sell well as it can fit many models, so you would think they would keep making it.

Hornby batch out resupply in minimum order of quantity dictated by their suppliers, generally in the order of 2000 for decoders or other small modules.

This guarantees them a return on their expected sales based upon marketing data. If stats indicate fuller demand then orders may be of higher quantity.

Joe Bloggs saying he wants one or even two at a push if his wife grants him an additional model railway allowance this month is not a driver for Hornby commercial to bung in an immediate order for a zillion Class xyz decoders or Class ABC locos.

Marketing stats are retro hence future orders tend to lag a tad behind folks’ expectations.

@ColinB......Such speculation is absolutely pointless. None of us have the slightest insite into Hornby's commercial practices and relationships with their suppliers. Your comments seem to infer that Hornby are a bunch of amateurs who are just muddling through. It serves no purpose to criticise Hornby in such a manner and give young and inexperienced modellers completely the wrong impression. Perhaps you could contact Simon Kohler to discuss your concerns then let us all know his reply............HB

I was not implying that, if you read the last sentence it said it exactly what RAF96 said. Hornby only order a batch of what they expect their sales to be. Hornby's practices are no different to any other commercial firm they only make what they can sell, and storage of unsold items costs money. I know from comments on this site that they "outsource" the electronics as firstly making modern pcbs's require a lot of investment and for some electronics companies a run of 2000 is incredibly small. So no, I was not getting at Hornby, just saying it like it is. I wish that Hornby made more TTS decoders, it seems that generally they make too few, but then again I don't know how big their market for these decoders is. Incidentally, other than a few early issues I have no problems with TTS decoders, generally most of the ones I want, they currently do, if they don't do it, I buy one of the more expensive ones. Other Sound Decoder companies basically configure the device when you order it, but you pay significantly more for the item, probably for the labour invoved in putting the signature in the memory. There was no need for that comment RAF96 again you didn't read the last line. It is a well known fact that the world suffers with electronics and software, it is something you cannot feel or see, so most companies have issues with it, go ask "Crossrail", it does not mean the firm is incompitent it is just that it is a new technology that they are taking time to get their head around. I have no intentention of telling Hornby how to run their business. 

Not sure which particular comment you are upset by Colin, but I can assure you that Hornby (or any other firm I know) would not knowingly drive a shortage of any product to jack the price up. They want to sell stuff, not create a market vaccuum. They set the RRP and the retailers flog them priced according to their market.

To the best of my knowledge the size of production runs are based on pre-order interest. Just because one run sold out does not mean a second run will follow suit. They may have got their calcs exactly right and the first run was enough to meet the market requirement. With regard to them keep making any particular variant (of TTS) that is the reason I posted the TTS wishlist thread to give them an idea of what folk are looking for, but of course that sort of post doesn’t indicate the expected order of quantity required to raise a production run.

The comment where you think I should be advising Hornby, although I know a ton about electronics and software, I know nothing about their business. As to the rest of it, what I was trying to say is a TTS module is totally different to a loco, basically they are are the same hardware it is just what is programmed into it to make the sounds, totally different from building a loco where there are lots of different parts. So they could effectively have 3/4 of the same batch as A4s and 1/4 as class 66s, that is the advantage of electronics. So next time they order a batch of 2000 there is no reason not to have 500 of them, one of the items that has run out. As to the price hike, no they don't do it, but if they are like other company they know as the product gets scarce the price goes up. By doing limited production runs, it makes second prices higher and tempts you to buy the item quicker, in case it runs out.