Alternative decoder for Hornby Peckett

pendeenpete

Merry Christmas, as usual, my Christmas loco has a problem! Just need some up to date suggestions for an alternative decoder to the Hornby 4 pin. I managed to get one from abroad that failed, I hard wired another decoder using the blanking plug and the loco runs fine, but won't fit in the correct position,just need suggestions for an alternative. The Lenz silver mini, or dcc concepts Black mini seem to have enough capability, but really want personal experience if possible.  The Peckett whistle was bent and fell off, and one of the incredibly fine cab handrails was snapped, but have had a lot worse. 

No, it was an MX616. I bought the one with wires, but the MX617F is not much bigger and a lot cheaper. I use the MX617F in a lot of my old ringfield motor based locos, as you can add KAM to it. Really good decoder and no I don't have any interest in Zimo, I have just found that they are really good decoders for slow running. The telly is rubbish on Christmas day, although Kyle is on at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would update on my eventual choice in case people have a Peckett and need an alternative decoder. I purchased a Zimo  MX 617F and hard wired it using the blanking plug and it's wiring, fits well after trimming blanking plug wires and the loco runs beautifully.

As Hornby's decoder is currently scarce and a bit limited in it's features, this could be a cheapish (£20) alternative for Peckett owners