Nascar

Petejknotts

My 9 year old son has been given his 1st scalextric track for christmas, its the extreme speed track. 

He is a nascar nut so have also got him a couple of nascars, however he now wants me to build him a nascar oval circuit with banking.

Could anybody give me any tips on what to purchase to make this happen, also any links of where to purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hi Pete - welcome to the forum!

I would suggest two options:

1) the C1383 Stock Car Challenge set comes with two set-only Chevy Monte Carlos and a banked oval. Plus, it comes with an exclusive powerbase which means the cars run counter-clockwise! 

2) extend your set with the straights in the track expansion pack #4 (C8526) plus some banked curves - either the standard Radius 2 banked curve set (C8296) or the wider Radius 3 banked curve set (C8297). Four packs of the banked curves are required for the full 360-degrees, so the Slot Car Challenge set might work out quite economical - plus the extra cars, extra controllers etc.

If you Google the part numbers, you should find the items available near you. If you are in the UK, the Scalextric web store is good value for track pieces.

I guess a third option is to do what we used to do back in the day - use some cardboard or foam to wedge the outside of the corners. The plastic is flexible and should take a few degrees of banking - maybe raising the outside a centimetre or two. That's definitely the low-cost option and you can see how it goes... You will still need some extra straights to add to your set to make the oval.

I hope that helps. Merry Christmas!