Hornby Class 800 DCC chip conundrum

Andygt550

Hi Just bought the GWR Class 800 Driving Trailer twin pack + coaches. Firstly, will Hornby do a 2 x pack DCC sound module for this? What Hornby DCC non-sound modules do I need to ensure lights work etc. My issue is this.... Do I buy 2 x non sound DCC chips or wait until Hornby release sound DCC chips that will fit (speaker) into the small area on the driving car. I dont want to buy non sound now (+£40) and then spend more replacing with sound. 

I know I can buy non hornby DCC stuff but its almost £150 and you have to mess with cutting a £400 model about?

So I am looking for advice and the part numbers I need to to purchase so I can make a descion and play with my new train...

Many Thanks. (Bit dissappointed Hornby dont supply this info...Also there is no "R" number on the boxes?) 

Look out for the new Hornby 2020 range announcement on 6th January, check the TTS decoder list for class 800..........if not available then you need 2 x R8249 decoders for the power cars........can be bought for £15.50 each plus p&p........HB

I doubt the 800 will be on the TTS listing but you never know with Hornby. Electrics are a strange beast to try to model sound files for. A prototype electric motor sounds a lot like an electric motor found driving the model. Admitedly there will be ’bells and whistles, etc’.

You don’t have to use Hornby decoders - you can use any basic 8-pin decoder, some priced as low as £10 apiece.

By - Hornby don’t show R numbers - I presume you mean for required decoders as the loco R numbers are easily available 

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/class-800-hitachi.html

As stated any regular decoder will do and the Hornby range is also seen in the shop.

Many Thanks for your advice. I will wait until Hornby releases its 2020 range and hope that the relevant sound decoders become available.

By.... Mr RAF, I meant that there are no "R" numbers on the boxes - In the "olden days" all Hornby boxes had a description and its designated "R" number?

Cheers anyway

Glad I wasn't at RAF Halton...Did my Flight Simulator Apprenticeship at RAF Locking by Weston-S-Mare...

Trouble is the 800 doesn't have a diesel engine at each end like the HST. The 5 car set has a diesel under the floor on coach 2, 3 and 4 whereas the 9 car has them under 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 as far as I am aware. So you will need more that two decoders. Also the train is powered by overhead electricity and the diesels are for emergencies or where there is no overhead. 

Odd - I can’t find any decent pictures of box ends on tinternet, but it seems odd not to have that info there. There is usually a SKU on the back for stock scanning.

I went to Locking for a look round afore going to Cardington for trade selection. Never thought I would need to know about electric string, etc but it has come in handy since.

Welcome Andy.

Beware there are at least 2 ex Halton brats on here. I did mine there 99th but was also an simulator tech, yes L.Fitt ST from its inception in 75. Went to Locking in 77 for DTCF course. Are you Andy from a training company in Crawley.

Now 11 years retired full time. Am working on new DCC layout. 

Have sound in two A4s (gold plated Mallard was retirement present along with Thomas from my work colleagues at a simulator training company in Crawley) and a Castle, all TTS, but using sugar cube speakers and a Class 20 but was sound fitted on purchase, but is out of a blue box.

Happy New year to you all. Keep chuffing and puffing.

If they don't do a sound TTS, you could do what I do. In the end with the motor, use a decent DCC decoder like a Horby one (they are perfectly ok) and in the other end use one of the really cheap £10.00 specials off that popular auction site, it has only got to switch the lights so it does need to be anything special. I did this on my Bachman DMU and Hornby HST, in the latter case before I added TTS. If Hornby eventually do bring out a TTS you can then use the decoders for another loco.

Many Thanks for your advice. I will wait until Hornby releases its 2020 range and hope that the relevant sound decoders become available.

By.... Mr RAF, I meant that there are no "R" numbers on the boxes - In the "olden days" all Hornby boxes had a description and its designated "R" number?

Cheers anyway

Glad I wasn't at RAF Halton...Did my Flight Simulator Apprenticeship at RAF Locking by Weston-S-Mare...

Many thanks for all of your suggestions - I'll see what Hornby offer in their 2020 range. If not a Hornby and a cheap decoder will have to do. Seems like you have to ask the missus for crowd funding to buy anything for this hobby these days......

Laters

Mike I was on DST 16 - 1978, you maybe thinking of an Andy Watson?