Inherited Collection retouch

Hi all,

I recently inherited my late father's model soldier collection, the bulk of it Airfix 1:32 soldiers from the 1970s. In total, there are 25,000 figures, 100 ships, 50 tanks - I could go on, the list is huge.

My family squabbled over this collection when he died 30 years ago so about a third of it is broken (probably beyond repair) but there are some that are in need of a retouch as paint has crumbled and flaked off.

I'm now 46 and although I helped him paint these figures as a child, I didn't keep up with the hobby and my skills are at beginner level. I want to restore as much of the hobby to its previous lustre but I'm afraid to even attempt in case I make it look worse.

Do I strip the model completely and start over or is there a technique to retouching a plastic figure someone could share?

Also, some of the ships are badly damaged but I think I can restore these - is it still possible to get parts and instructions for models from the 1970s?

I have purely sentimental feelings about the collection and I'm pleased to have it at long last - any monetary value doesn't interest me.