Manual DCC chipping a loco

Traviss Trains

I'm just started out with DCC (Only had it half a year) and I'm almost ready to solder in a dcc chip to my Hornby 0-4-0 105 Shunter, but Im looking for wire to use for my locomotive- does anyone know the current required for hornby DCC locomotives to run off (Because I need wire to chip the locomotive with, but I don't know which current to get).

I use Hornby R8248 Decoder and a the standard 0-4-0 as found in the Industrial freight train set

Also is there any advice people can give with DCC in general?

Best thanks

If you cut the wires near the 8 pin plug. Then the wires on the decoder should already be long enough to reach all parts of a 0-4-0 loco.

You can buy thin decoder wire from some model related retailers. Such as for example:

https://wicknessmodels.co.uk/product/fine-decoder-wire-choose-colour-quantity-copy/

In most scenarios, you don't need to support more than 500mA in a model loco wire. Just make sure it is stranded wire and not solid conductor. Solid conductors break too easily and are a fault liability.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

I found it wasn't really a choice about current capacity, most normal wire is more than adequate, more about how flexible the wire was. As you are going to fit this inside a small area flexibility is very important. I agree with RAF96 use a socket, it makes testing easier, as you can replace the DCC chip with a DC header to check you have wired it correctly. Also, you might find in the future you might want to add sound or use a better DCC chip, so it is easier to replace.