Loco detection

[quote]It is amazing what can be sent down a wire. I have a box under the lounge TV that sends all channels, from that other box (name not mentioned not Freeview) to a TV in another room via the 30 amp house wiring. It also sends films from my DVD etc all down the domestic house wiring. PJ[/quote] My Railmaster PC, which is in the attic, communicates with our broadband router via our domestic house wiring. Ray

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Using the ring main is fairly common now for data tranfer.[/quote] It's amazing, house wires feed power and yet packets of information, Films etc, etc is also passed down the line or was it up the line at the same time. It wasn't cheap, it was a gadget I had to have. Ethernet would have been cheaper, but because of my situation I cannot do it and after having gas central heating installed when we moved in the wife said... no more carpets up! We have come a long way from the oil lamp and the dynamo on a push bike ;-) PJ

[quote] [quote]It is amazing what can be sent down a wire. I have a box under the lounge TV that sends all channels, from that other box (name not mentioned not Freeview) to a TV in another room via the 30 amp house wiring. It also sends films from my DVD etc all down the domestic house wiring. PJ[/quote] My Railmaster PC, which is in the attic, communicates with our broadband router via our domestic house wiring. Ray[/quote] Hello Ray Does your signal go down the main house wiring to the router? Or are you saying the router is powered by mains power and the signal communicated with the router (wireless?) PJ

I have just googled it and depending which of the two wires on your land line is disconnected your broadband will work on the one wire. Regarding using the mains, I can connect a BT FREEVIEW box downstairs to my broadband router upstairs via the mains. The BT box plugs into the mains via a special adapter and the server is plugged in the same way upstairs. The box gets TV progs from the Internet along the mains cable. Scary.

[quote] [quote] [quote]It is amazing what can be sent down a wire. I have a box under the lounge TV that sends all channels, from that other box (name not mentioned not Freeview) to a TV in another room via the 30 amp house wiring. It also sends films from my DVD etc all down the domestic house wiring. PJ[/quote] My Railmaster PC, which is in the attic, communicates with our broadband router via our domestic house wiring. Ray[/quote] Hello Ray Does your signal go down the main house wiring to the router? Or are you saying the router is powered by mains power and the signal communicated with the router (wireless?) PJ[/quote] Hi PJ, It goes to the router via the house wiring - no wireless. Have a look at this... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-500mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-with-pass-through-socket-n04hz The version I have is a Devolo dLan 200 AVmini and it works fine. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-200mbps-avmini-powerline-3-pack-a31kr Ray

[quote] [quote] [quote] [quote]It is amazing what can be sent down a wire. I have a box under the lounge TV that sends all channels, from that other box (name not mentioned not Freeview) to a TV in another room via the 30 amp house wiring. It also sends films from my DVD etc all down the domestic house wiring. PJ[/quote] My Railmaster PC, which is in the attic, communicates with our broadband router via our domestic house wiring. Ray[/quote] Hello Ray Does your signal go down the main house wiring to the router? Or are you saying the router is powered by mains power and the signal communicated with the router (wireless?) PJ[/quote] Hi PJ, It goes to the router via the house wiring - no wireless. Have a look at this... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-500mbps-powerline-adapter-kit-with-pass-through-socket-n04hz The version I have is a Devolo dLan 200 AVmini and it works fine. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/devolo-dlan-200mbps-avmini-powerline-3-pack-a31kr Ray[/quote] Hello Ray It looks quite impressive. Can it also transmit Sky? PJ

Just remind me what all this discussion has got to do with Loco Detection. Hi RDS A question was raised... Can data be passed down 'one wire' ? Some say data cannot be sent back on one wire it needs two. Some say it can and have explained the reason. Have a read back and you will see how data transfer down a wire has evolved. PJ

[quote]Just remind me what all this discussion has got to do with Loco Detection.[/quote] Your right RDS, I hate these threads that go completely off the subject. BTW those Maplin powerlinks are way way over priced. Look for TP-Link pairs with pass-through on Amazon for about £23. ;-)

[quote]Since I installed my "mains" Local Area Network (!!) I've often wondered if someone else in my street has these gadgets installed in their house, will both our networks be joined together ? :-) I think we've wandered off "loco detection" because until something is released by Hornby, there isn't much new to say about it !! :-) Oops - I did an edit and it turned into a new post, I think! Ray[/quote]

[quote] [quote]Since I installed my "mains" Local Area Network (!!) I've often wondered if someone else in my street has these gadgets installed in their house, will both our networks be joined together ? :-) Ray[/quote] Why stop at the same street Ray?[/quote] Quite so - it might go as far as the sub-station!! :-)

Archived