TTS [fitting GM DCC99 Stay Alive]

Guest Chrissaf

The DCC99 is like any normal 'Stay Alive' in terms of connectivity. This particular GM product has a micro 2 way JST connector on the end of the red and black wires (see image below yellow highlight). This connector obviously allows it to be directly plugged into the GM decoders that support it.

/media/tinymce_upload/8bb443857f9266e0a8e89addef465ad7.jpg

The Hornby TTS decoder does not have a 'Stay Alive' plug in socket on it. It is not factory designed for use with 'Stay Alives' as it does not have the wiring necessary for 'Stay Alives' built into the decoder. This does not mean that you can't connect a 'Stay Alive' to a TTS decoder, it's just that to do so needs a certain level of soldering skill.

Firstly you will need an extremely fine tipped low wattage soldering iron. I would suggest 1mm diameter tip at 15 watts iron rating. And a very steady hand and magnifying glass to really see what you are doing.

If you need more information on how to solder......read my tutorial.

You will need to cut off the 2 way JST plug (this will void any warranty) on the DCC99. The red wire on the DCC99 is positive and the black wire negative. The wires will need to be soldered to the two decoder locations shown in the image below (good luck with that you will need it):

/media/tinymce_upload/8700ddb6b21e9b04da3061cdb338e98e.jpg

I would also highly recommend that you modify CV29 on the TTS to turn off 'DC Operation' support. The DCC99 looks to be a 'Stay Alive' built using a very high capacitance (the DCC99 image looks to me as if the 'Stay Alive' is built around three 'Super Capacitors) . If you leave 'DC Operation' enabled in CV29 then you are very highly likely to see the loco take off when the DCC track power is turned off and move on its own until the capacitor is run dry. This is called 'DC Runaway'. If the 'Stay Alive' is built with 'Super Capacitors' then the loco could potentiall go a foot or so before stopping.

Additionally, I would recommend that you disconnect the DCC99 using the plug in connector at the capacitor end when performing decoder programming tasks. The 'Stay Alive' will very highly likely affect the ability of the decoder to be CV configured if it is left connected during a programming task as the TTS decoder is not factory designed for 'Stay Alive' working.

Hi. 

Has any one fitted a Gaugemaster DCC99 Ruby PowerPal Plug-In Stay Alive for use with DCC 90/91/94/95 to a Hornby TTS engine and if so can you tell me how

Someone on this site, indicated that there is a better place to attach the kam. If you look under the TTS decoder board, at the opposite end to the connections there is round black circular disc, I suspect it is the sound IC, but I don't know. Anyway above and below this are two rows of 7 solder pins. This is as RAF96 post

@RAF96

...fourth pad along and fourth pad down side...

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/download/hornby-tts-decoder-stay-alive-installation-instructions-cob-side/?wpdmdl=1087&refresh=5d6919565b46c1567168854

It is a bit easy to attach the wires at these points. I did this and used a YouChoos LifeLink Circuit board, it adds a bit of isolation so you can read CV data in programing mode. If worked perfectly on my Ringfield based HST loco.