Elink on Window 10

I have purchased the Western Master trainset with elink. I have been trying for days now to get my computer to recognise the elink. I keep getting the message ERROR IN OPEN THE PORT I have tried all my usb ports and get the same message. PLEASE help me before I take a bottle of Vallium.

Welcome to the forums Chipman.  There are a number of recently referenced threads in this forum that give you all the detail you need to correctly install the eLink driver for a start, confirm which com port it is on then configure RM to see it and have all the correct settings to operate reliably.  Someone will be along soon to give you links.

In the meantime, go to the sticky thread at the top of the forum then off to the separate site run by AC and follow his instructions there.  That may be all you need.  Ensure you download and install as administrator the very latest version of RM from the link at the top of this forum too.

Let us know how you go.

Chipman,

Installation issues for RailMaster and eLink seem to be raised on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, particularly just after Christmas. All those Hornby DCC eLink train sets I suppose being sold this time of year.

Unfortunately, RailMaster and eLink is not 'Plug n Play' and needs a lot of setting up.

Your 'Unable to Open port' message is almost certainly due to the eLink driver not being installed correctly or RM system settings not configured correctly. Installing the eLink driver on Windows 10 is a two stage process. Many newbies, complete stage 1 but never follow through with stage 2.....mainly because the Hornby documentation is so dire and doesn't adequately describe the complete process.

As well as the link that Fishy above has given. Have a look at my post in this following link. Any references to Windows 7 & 8, just read these as being Windows 10. The installation process is identical. Also note that the eLink and Elite use the same Windows driver so again if you see Elite mentioned in the linked text, read that as being eLink.

Treat the linked post below as you would an index and then follow the further secondary links embedded within the post as instructed. Look for my post in the thread. You will see that the original poster in this thread (linked below) also had similar issues to you with his 'Western Master' set, with my guidance he got it working straight away.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/installing-elink-with-rm-for-the-1st-time-issues/?p=1/#post-313903

If you still have communication with eLink issues after getting the eLink driver installed correctly, then follow the second embedded link in the linked post above.

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/