Point settings reusing an old point number

Hi Folks

I'm using a previously used point number (the point was removed some time ago ), when I try to set up a point on my most recent track plan and it throws up the following error: 'This Point has the same port number as an existing signal on your plan' Doing this will cause problems when firing points or signals'. Thing is I cant find the existing point on the track plan. Is there a another Track file that contains the original point number?

Regards

Gearoid

Your error message says:

"This Point has the same port number as an existing signal on your plan"

You have said:

"Thing is, I can't find the existing point on the track plan."

You apprear to be looking for an existing point with the errored duplicated DCC address, whereas according to the error message you should be looking for a signal on your track plan that has the duplicated address.

Don't forget if you are using RailMasterPro to look also in the 'other points / signals' setting in each point and signal configuration box in the track plan, in case the duplicated DCC address is located there instead. This additional comment only applicable to PRO edition.

Is there a another Track file that contains the original point number?

Not to my knowledge, all the point and signal configuration information is contained in the "your-track-plan-name".pln file

Something I don't do is give the same address to a signal as a point, because it doesn't reflect real-life practise. However, I didn't realise that Railmaster objects to this, and I don't understand why it should.

Also, a couple of years ago I discovered that items can be lost off the edge of a layout diagram with no straightforward way of getting them back. An easy way to do this is to multi-select a group of items, then drag the group so that some of the items are off the edge of the screen. If the drag is released at this point, those items off the edge, although still present in the layout file, become forever more invisible, because their x or y co-ordinates have become negative. As I say this was a couple of years ago - I don't know whether this has been fixed since. 

Ray

Your error message says:

"This Point has the same port number as an existing signal on your plan"

"Thing is, I can't find the existing point on the track plan."

You apprear to be looking for an existing point with the errored duplicated DCC address, whereas according to the error message you should be looking for a signal on your track plan that has the duplicated address.

Don't forget if you are using RailMasterPro to look also in the 'other points / signals' setting in each point and signal configuration box in the track plan, in case the duplicated DCC address is located there instead. This additional comment only applicable to PRO edition.

Is there a another Track file that contains the original point number?

Not to my knowledge, all the point and signal configuration information is contained in the "your-track-plan-name".pln file

Hi Chrissaf,

many thanks for your prompt reply. You are quite right I should have said it  was a signal and not a point that was causing the issue - senior moment. I checked out all of the other points/signals for a reference to the offending signal - to no avail. I reinstated the Point/signal numbering on the plan and sure enough the signal number reappeared on the leftmost column of plan - but not the signal. Then when I came in from work this evening and read Sting4ay's suggestion it made sense. So I tried it and sure enough it worked - I selected all of the entities on the plan, pulled them to the right and up came the offending signal. I removed it and all is working well again. My thanks to you both for your help on this issue. Without you guys we mortals would be lost!

Thanks Again

Gearoid