Car Service parts

Ironhippie

So Is there a place to buy the ring gear on the rear axle of the new green mini cooper or better yet where do I go to buy spare parts at all. Not really seeing much for spare parts on the scalextric web site. I see plenty of pinion gears on other sites but they are small and much tougher than the ring gear, Id think there would be a need for those (ring gears) more than the pinion especially since its just flimsy plastic.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Ironhippie and ToXic U4ia 

Scalextric now produce only basic spares for their cars, but that does include gears, motors, guides/braid assemblies. There are some spares for older cars listed on the website, but when they are gone, they're gone: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/spares-accessories.html

Specifically, the gear inline gears are here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/spares-accessories/contrate_gear_pack_(inline_motors).html

Other Scalextric retailers, such as Pendle Slot Racing will carry a good selection of spares.

My experience is that with good maintenance - especially cleaning - the Scalextric cars are pretty robust. I've never had the gears fail on a car. I have changed a couple of motors after a lot of heavy running. The most common change for me is new braids and - because I tend to run cars without magnets - I change the rear tyres to the correct Slot.it or Paul Gage versions.

I hope that helps.

It is possible to make / buy decals for the tyre lettering. Both Pattos Place and Indycals sell sheets of tyre decals. There are also replacement wings available on Shapeways for some Scalextric models - or I repair mine with black polycarbonate sheet (from food packaging) and a flexible glue like Shoe Goo or E6000.

I understand that the restriction of spares to the bare minimum - motors, guide/braids and gears - is to keep costs down. The cost to produce spares across the whole range (and going back 10-20 years) is not insignificant, but it's the warehousing and the staff to administer a full range of spares that is prohibitive - especially with Scalextric and Hornby Hobbies having to be very focused on turning the company round. Everything that is sitting unsold in a warehouse is money that can't be invested in new models, new tooling etc. So I get why this is the way it is at the moment...

My hope for the future would be a half-way house - not a full range, but blank wings and mirrors for current models, one rear axle assembly and tyres for each type of car etc. For those of us who race the cars, things do get broken, so it is nice to have replacements.