Cross compatibility

N01ParraFan

Hi, I am very new to scalextric and looking at building quite a big track.  I have purchased 2 non digital sets and 1 arc pro digital set.  I am looking at 1 more set so I will have everything I need and plenty of spares.  It is a digital 6 car set.  I just want to make sure that all these sets will work together.  From the look of it the 6 car set has its own digital screen with lap counter etc..  but tge arc pro apparently uses an app on my phone.  Any info regarding any of the above would be greatly appreciated.   Im sorry if this has been covered before, I  am pretty computer illiterate and this is my first forum post anywhere ever.

Hi N01ParraFan - welcome to the forum!

ARC Pro sets include the 'Scalextric Sport' track system, so look for sets that also include Scalextric Sport track. That should be most sets manufactured since 2000, with the exception of the START branded sets.

ARC Pro is the current Scalextric digital system and has the option of using a smart device and the ARC app to control lap counting and loads of fabulous rade mode and simulation features. It makes Scalextric racing pretty close to real racing - with fuel consumption, tyre wear, engine problems and weather changes. I have written a guide to the ARC app here: https://slotracer.online/arc-pro-guide/

ARC Pro will run up to six cars on two lanes. To run six cars you will need two power supplies plugged into the ARC Pro powerbase and have six ARC wireless controllers - each connected to a separate colour on the powerbase. The cars will need to have Scalextric Digital chips (decoders) fitted.

The six car set you mention sounds like the old C1330 'Digital Platinum' set. It contains the older C7042 six-car advanced powerbase, which has its own LCD display tower. The tower will give you very basic lap counting and race timing, plus a pace car feature and the ability to customise power settings. Enthusiasts have improved the C7042 advanced powerbase by producing a cable to connect it to a Windows computer running race management software. For an additional £60, you have a system that offers the same features - but even more detailed - than the ARC Pro app. Controller upgrades and pit lane sensors are also available for the advanced powerbase. Similar upgrades will most likely be available - in time - for ARC Pro (which is only two years old).

You can only use one powerbase in a digital layout, so you you need to choose ARC Pro or the advanced powerbase. The older digital controllers that come with the 'Digital Platinum' set cannot be used with ARC Pro - but the power supplies, cars and track can. The ARC wireless controllers only work with ARC Pro (and the non-digital ARC Air). If you choose to go with ARC Pro - which is what I use at home - then perhaps buying a second ARC Pro set might be better. Or simply buy more ARC controllers, a second power supply and more track pieces or track expansion packs. The variety of track pieces in a set is mostly limited to standard 'radius 2' curves and you might want to explore wider or tighter curves to give variety to your layout.

Finally, the cars that came with your non-digital sets will need to be fitted with digital chips (decoders) to work with ARC Pro or the advanced powerbase in digital mode. Both also have a traditional one-car-per-lane 'analogue' mode to run non-digital cars against each other. The powerbases, power supplies and controllers that came with your non-digital sets cannot be used with a digital layout.

I hope that helps. Do ask any more questions, although as a new member, you are probably restricted to only two posts per 24 hours at the moment.