R26594 dcc ready . Fitting sound decoder

Tonyob

I have just bought a used straemlined DCC ready Royal Highlander Train pack which has never been out of the box. (£100)

When I am fitting the Hornby sound decoder do I just take out the blanking plate and plug in the sound decoder. I notice it has a resister fitted. When I normally hard wire a decoder I cut out the resister. Do I need to do this on a Dcc ready loco or leave it in. 

ps . I am calling it a resister but it is the round orange thing between the motor connection.

Tony

Round and orange between the motor terminals will be a capacitor not a resistor. Resistors are hardly ever used with a model motor, even the long cylindrical components that look like resistors are usually inductors.

Inductors go in series with the motor, capacitors go in parallel with the motor. Both component types are used as electrical noise suppression. Neither are actually needed when a decoder is fitted, but many 'DCC Ready' locos have them left in-situ by the model manufacturer. Some manufacturers place the suppression components on their 'blanking plates' so that they are automatically removed from the circuit when the blanking plate is replaced with a decoder.

Thanks for that Chris. My capacitor is not fixed to the blanking plate so do I cut it out or can I leave it in. I thought maybe the capacitor was by-passed when the new sound decoder was plugged in.

Always best to ask before taking the plunge.

Tony