Alternative speakers connections on TTS decoder

marc_johnson

Good evening

I was just wondering if anybody alternative speaker connection points on a tts decoder I've accidentally damaged the soldering holes for the wires on a tts decoder and no longer reconnect speaker wires to the decoder.

So does anybody if could reattach speaker wires somewhere on the chip 

I agree with RAF96 and invoke their no quible guarantee. I assume you have left the iron on the pad too long and it has lifted. If you are careful you might be able to see the tracks where pads are attached to and basically follow it through, and find somewhere to attach them to be, but I suggest using a thinner tip iron.. If it is under a year old send it back to Hornby, they are very good.

To prevent this happening again:

• Use an iron with a fine tip (1mm recommended)
  • Use a low wattage iron (15 watts recommended)
  • Do not use the cheaper 'Lead Free' solder, the more expensive 60/40 (Lead/Tin) solder is far easier to use and gives better results.
  • Do not cook the joint, that is to say do not leave the iron on too long. If the solder is not melting straight away you are doing something wrong or using inappropriate soldering tools. Remove the iron tip and review what you are doing that is preventing the solder from melting quickly. The iron tip must be freshly tinned and appear bright and shiny almost like chrome.
  • Preferably do not solder directly on the decoder in the first place. As others have said, modify speaker wiring at the speaker end.

If all else fails.....read my 'How to Solder for Model Railways' tutorial.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/