Any experience with NCE DCC Power Cab?

Guest Chrissaf

Hello Michael and welcome to the Forum.

Discussion of other brands is allowed, however, if the discussion edges into any form of active promotion or advertising of other brands, the thread will disappear.

I think there are a number of Forum members using the system you describe, so hopefully you will get answers.

Why are you thinking of a power upgrade ?

The unit you need is the sb5 

The best add on IMO is the autoswitch to allow a programme track which with a bit of clever wiring can be on your layout as well.

Is your powercab able to recall 6 loco's , if not you will need to upgrade the eeprom if you need 6 loco's .

Anything else ?

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use an NCE PowerCab (v1.65) and I really like it. I have had several brands of DCC systems, starting with Digitrax Challenger in 1993, as well as Lenz, Atlas, Arnold, Digitrax Big Boy and Chief, and SPROG 3. Due to being an operator on at least three different club layouts, all with different preferred DCC systems (Digitrax, Lenz, and NCE), I manage to stay pretty digitally confused no matter which system I‘m using. All systems have their own advantages and disadvantages, but most importantly, it’s what you get used to that counts. As far as power upgrades to the PowerCab, NCE has that covered, check with them for your best options. Out of the box, the PowerCab is very well configured for most small to medium sized home layouts.

Bill in FtL

Hi again - just starting out.

I have a starter pack for NCE - their Power Cab DCC system

I realise that this is "Hornby" - but are there any members using NCE equipment, and if so, would appreciate guidance - especially on upgrade to higer amperage usage?

Thanks

Michael O'

I've been using an NCE PowerCab for about 4 years and it is the only DCC system that I have used. I'm very satisfied with how it works for me.I have connected JMRI to it and have run six trains concurrently using my iPad & phone to control them (without having boosted the power). I would certainly recommend JMRI - if you don't know what it is, look it up.