Tts hst smoke alarm

Stevecantthinkofanickname

Hello folks,

Im brand new to dcc and dcc sound (but not dc model railways) so please be gentle. I have a tts sound hst train pack and a hornby select controller just to set the 'picture'. I had a first run with it tonight but i was rather dissapointed to find it sounded like 2 smoke alarms in stereo on function 01, it didnt remind me of a hst at all, is there a 'running' sound function? Thanks in advance.

Welcome Steve - if you do think of a nickname (Steve will do) you can change it once in your forum profile.

Your poor sound is likely due to a poor speaker and/or how it is installed. The standard speaker is pretty feeble and many folk install a bigger and better one. Just make sure it is correctly rated 1W and 8-ohm.

A speaker must be mounted in an enclosure that allows you to seal the front of the speaker from the back. The standard speaker and others have holes for the wires and you should seal these and the rim of the speaker to the enclosure using any of the various -tak products or a smear of UHU or even hot glue, just be careful not to damage the speaker diaphragm.

F1 is the engine background sound. F0 is lights and the other F-numbers are various sounds as listed in the ‘manual’. I presume your Select is at at revison 1.5 else you will not be able to select all the sounds. If it is v1.4 or less then you can get it updated by calling HCC on the number at the bottom of every page and ask for a returns number. The charge is currently £15 for the service to update to v1.6 which will then also allow you to change CVs, important functionality when you get more into DCC.

The usual sound level tuning practice is to turn the overall volume down to an acceptable level and turn up any spot sounds as necessary. For the overall volume control see the associated TTS manual/leaflet.

You may be surprised what a difference a diferent speaker can make.

Go to Richard Crofts page on RM Web Froum DCC Sound section. He has a video demonstrating steam and diesel TTS driving many different speakers for comparison.

My problem with my A4 Mallard TTS sound was speaker failure after 2 days. Volume was not more than 1/2 setting. Hornby replaced speaker, the sound was very distorted in the original. Replaced with sugar cube speaker, not expensive. Big bonus is they fit inside the loco so the sound comes from the loco not the tender