Network Ports and Protocols

Can anybody tell me which network ports and protocols, both inbound and outbound, that RailMaster Activation uses.

Probably not, as that exact question has not been asked before.

However, questions relating to 'Key Activation' issues come up on a regular basis and are usually proven to be issues with the Anti-Virus brand that the user has installed. Particularly those AV brands that install their own 'Windows Firewall' replacement.

The two brands that give the most severe issues due to their aggressive nature are Norton and McAfee. AV brands that still use the integral Microsoft Windows Firewall don't seem to have the same 'Key Activation' issues. I do take it that you have read and taken advice from the 'Security.PDF' document that RailMaster installs on your PC HDD.

If you experiencing difficulties getting your RM key activated and the 'Security.PDF' guidance does not resolve them, then the 'Railmaster Help Site' may assist you. Failing that, contact the RM software developers direct using support@rail-master.com and ask them your question.

You can also as a last resort, ask 'RailMaster Support' to remotely log onto your RailMaster PC and manually activate your key for you...... if you get completely stuck. They have done this many times before for others on this forum.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

What controller are you using?

The reason I ask is because JMRI doesn't work with eLink, and other non Hornby branded controllers don't work with RailMaster. I believe JMRI will work with the Hornby Elite, but not optimised to do so

If your controller is eLink then you will have to use RailMaster with that controller. So if you are really struggling to get RailMaster activated, then request RailMaster support to log on to your PC and do it for you.

The process is fairly simple. You explain your issue (in detail) in a mail to support. Include your Activation Key code in the mail. If they agree to log in, they will send you a link to a small utility (similar to Team Viewer) to download onto your PC.

In the mail request I would advise them that you have tried resolving your issue via the forum and include a URL link to this thread so that they can review the information.

Initially rather than an external mail request, I would first send the support request via the 'Help Request' screen from within RailMaster because this will send RailMaster log files that probably tell support exactly what the issue is. However, you may get error messages relating to that method of communication due to the Activation failure via your AV setup (this can affect messaging as well as activation). In which case resort to the using the external mail message process.

I've used this utility myself and it gives on-screen prompts regarding what to do. In my case, they logged in within 15 minutes of me initiating the utility communication and spent 2 hours online resolving my RailMaster issue (not an activation issue in my case but an operational one).

It was efficient and totally painless. The only downside is that you do have to be sitting in front of the PC screen the whole time, exchanging 'text messages' in a pop-up communication box.

Support will use the text communication pop-up box to issue instructions regarding the physical activities that they want you to perform during the online process. However, in the case of activation issues, this should not be too onerous as their diagnostics to resolve activation issues are more software biased than physical.