RailMaster isn't connecting with my Elite controller

Guest Chrissaf

Jossy65

Please do try to not use ALL CAPITALS, it really makes it harder to read the text. Apart from which, in forum text speak, all capitals is considered as 'shouting'.

Newbie forum member Alex asked virtually the identical question 4 days ago. So rather than 'reinventing the wheel' I direct you to his question and my reply to it:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/railmaster-elite-new-install-communication-issues/?p=1

Your described issue is a commonly recurring issue with many new RailMaster users and is easily fixed by modifying your 'railmaster.ini' file. Review the post linked above and follow the embedded links within it (in my replies) to find the instructions to correct your issue.

To start with, try setting 'Check controller=0' in the railmaster.ini file. If that doesn't work, then try all the different 'railmaster.ini' file combinations documented in my fuller replies.

looking at your posting history, you seem to be having a number of sequential Elite issues. If this new issue is just a continuation of a previous question you raised, it might have been better if you had just continued the dialogue in the previous post rather than starting this new one. The reason I say this, is because reading about your previous issues can give forum members clues to what might be causing your current problem.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

MY ELITE CONTROLLER IS WORKING FINE BUT RAILMASTER ISN'T CONNECTING WITH IT. RAILMASTER CONNECTS FOR A MINUTE OR SO THEN  IT GOES OFF, THEN I GET THIS MESSAGE........

THE CONNECTION WITH DCC CONTROLLER A HAS BEEN LOST 

THIS COULD BE DUE TO A SHORT CIRCUIT OR USB CABLE DISCONNECTION

CLEAR THE ERROR THEN CLICK THE TICK AND RAILMASTER WILL TRY TO CONNECT AGAIN

I CLICKED THE TICK IT CONNECTED FOR A BIT THEN WENT OFF AGAIN I'VE DONE IT A FEW TIMES BUT STILL SAME RESULT COULD ANYONE EXPLAIN PLEASE

• 4 weeks later...

I am a new E-Link user and I am having a very similar problem. The E-link is recognised and a connection seems to occur. I have the loco on the program rail and attempt to download  the details to the loco CV. The E-link then often shows an error and states that there is no controller connected or there is an error, disconnect and reconnect after 5 seconds. I am running windows 10. I have nee into the ,ini file and set as you suggested. same result. The DCC contoller symbol shows green all the way through this continuing rigmarol.

Assistance will be appreciated

The solution when using an eLink is similar to the solution given for Jossey above (who had an Elite). But with a couple of differences required specifically for the eLink.

I suspect from your described observations all you need to do is amend the following line in the .INI file to =0

Reset eLink on start=1 (change from 1 to 0)

I would also expect that an eLink will work best if these two lines have =1 values, but these values do sometimes need some experimentation as described in the linked thread below:

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

If the suggested .INI file modifications above don't work, then follow my full guidance in this previous thread instead.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/train-will-not-run-on-elink-plus-other-issues/?p=1

Note that references in the above thread to RailMaster 1.70.2 should now be read as version 1.72

• 3 weeks later...

I assume you are trying to edit the 'railmaster.ini' file using a text editor such as for example 'Notepad' from directly within the Windows Railmaster program folder.

Find your 'notepad.exe' file. Right click it and choose 'Run as administrator', then do your 'rauilmaster.ini' edits and save will then work just fine, if you are in 'Notepad administrator mode'.

But better than that, use the 'railmaster.ini' file editor that is actually built into RailMaster. Using the inbuilt editor, overcomes the 'access denied' issue.

Whilst RailMaster is actually running. Open the 'Help Screen' and you should see a bluish COG icon in the bottom left hand side. Click this icon and follow the 'on-screen' prompts. This COG icon is described somewhere in the instructions documented in my above linked 'How To' threads..... so presumably you missed them or didn't appreciate the significance of following my instructions exactly as written.

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/