P2 class cock o the north

Ukrich1958

Hi all am new and first post.

I have a dcc ready p2.

Taken it apart as user manual and the decoder is in the loco.

So it says sound goes in tender

Taken cover off and no decoder is inside but space for speaker and mounting for decoder. Do i need to wire the tender for tts sound and buy 8 pin decoder for loco. Any help welcome. I think this loco is pre 96

A sound decoder will run the loco as well. There is no need for two decoders. It seems as if you have a dcc ready loco matched to a sound ready tender. You would not otherwise have a decoder socket in the loco and the tender. What type of connection does your model have between the loco and tender - mechancial and electrical that is.

If you compare Service Sheets 401B and 407 - downloadable via the Help & Advice menu - you will see that the DCC-ready loco has provision for a decoder on the loco chassis whereas the TTS sound version has both the decoder and the speaker in the tender.  Fortunately, the tender chassis looks to be virtually identical but you will need X6113 loco-to-tender wiring and plug (not, I believe X6613 as stated on service sheet 407) and probably the X9958 socket for the tender to accept the X6113 plug.  The wiring from the loco pick-ups will then need running to the repositioned decoder socket in the tender via X6113 and back again from the decoder socket to the motor in the loco again via X6113.

Others more conversant with DCC & sound may well expand upon/correct this advice.

GS

I agree with WTD, the loco is a lot more modern than 1996, at least 2010.  If the loco is DCC Ready, it will have a socket for a decoder and in that socket will be a blanking plug.

You seem to be saying it has a socket in both loco and the tender?  That should not be the case, one or the other, not both.  In fact, you can see that from the service sheets GS quoted for you. The TTS loco chassis is the same as the earlier except the area where the socket goes in the non-TTS is blank in the TTS.  And the TTS version is not DCC Ready, it is DCC Fitted with the decoder in the tender.

When I fitted TTS to my P2 I remember putting it in the loco because I had to buy a much smaller speaker for it to fit. I bought my one off EBay I remember when I was looking to buy one there were lots of different build levels. My one is definitely "Railroad" build level, but it was not labelled as such.

You have three choices then...

Use the loco socket and swap the TTS standard speaker for a small cube speaker and find room in the loco for it like this one in a Merchant Navy

/media/tinymce_upload/6a2b6e01b86124882d34f76043bc555b.png

Or you can simply install the decoder in the loco and extend the speaker wires into the tender by way of a plug and socket and mount the standard speaker there. As stated you will have to source and wire in a suitable 2-pin plug and socket or ise the Hornby 4-pin version if you want to be able to disconnect the loco and tender.

Third option is to install a socket and tts decoder and speaker in the tender and make up a harness that plugs into the loco socket and extends to the new socket in the tender.

This may throw a little more light on the ops. original posting. I have Hornby P2 R3207 - DCC ready. I am not prepared to open the loco up, but I have opened the box and looked at the Operating and Maintenance Instructions - which you will know comes with illustrations. 

Item 6. Sound/DCC Ready

If you locomotive is not pre-fitted with a decoder see Fig.12 for location of DCC Socket.  This shows the DCC decoder being fitted in the locomotive.

See Fig.13 for location of DCC Sound Socket. This shows the DCC Sound Decoder and speaker mounted inside the tender.

Item 3 Assembly.  IF your product includes an electrical connection between locomotive/tender. "If" suggests there might be options depending on model?

This suggests there are Decoder mounting in both Loco and tender - I'm not suggesting two decoders are required.

I'll try and post a picture.

https://flic.kr/p/2ixZGPg

If you compare Service Sheets 401B and 407 - downloadable via the Help & Advice menu - you will see that the DCC-ready loco has provision for a decoder on the loco chassis whereas the TTS sound version has both the decoder and the speaker in the tender.  Fortunately, the tender chassis looks to be virtually identical but you will need X6113 loco-to-tender wiring and plug (not, I believe X6613 as stated on service sheet 407) and probably the X9958 socket for the tender to accept the X6113 plug.  The wiring from the loco pick-ups will then need running to the repositioned decoder socket in the tender via X6113 and back again from the decoder socket to the motor in the loco again via X6113.

Others more conversant with DCC & sound may well expand upon/correct this advice.

GS

Hi, the sheet 401b is the same as my loco. Thanks for everyone's input and WTD was correct it is about 2016. Sorry didn't reply earlier as I didn't know I only had two posts as a newbie I only got two posts in 24 hrs.

Little bit wiser now thanks again.

GS

Hi all, I bought a tts sound decoder and give it a test and it works fine. Now to fit in loco.so first drilled tiny holes in fire box in loco and coal chut in tender, then extended seaker wire to fit in tender, all soldered and heat shrunk. Managed to fit decoder in top of cab inside fixed with scotch electrical tape. Tender is screwed  to loco by coupler.

Loco now running great. I only have EZ controller at present so am limited to 10 Sounds but it sounds brill.

Once again thanks to all for your help. I always say if you don't know, ask.

Thanks