Track and Car compatability

DaveCooke

While I'm waiting for extensions and 'fancy' bits to appear in the new style track I bought a layout for the older track (up to 2018). It arrived yesterday and I set it up last night to see how it worked. I was quite disappointed when I used the cars from the 'American Racers' set, which uses the mark 2 track. They were very sluggish and kept stopping. I swapped the power section for the one from the 'American Racers' set and they performed a bit better. I then tried the cars from the new 'Law Enforcement' set and they performed much better. I also tried a single car I'd picked up and that worked well. What might be the problem with the cars from the 'American Racers' set?

Dave

Hi Dave - the American Racers set is the old-style (1995-2018) track system. The track has the thin vertical rails and is powered at 18 volts. The cars have the old-style 'square' motors and no screw holding in the braid plate. The old track system can be very glitchy and frustrating - which is why the new (2019) system was developed. I wrote up some tips for the old-style system here: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/tips-for-getting-the-most-out-of-micro-scalextric/

The new (2019) track system - the one in your Law Enforcer set - runs on 9 volts. If you put the new 9 volt cars on the old 18 volt system they will be getting twice the power they are designed for. That might be why they seem to 'work' on a glitchy track. I do strongly suspect the problem is the track, rather than the American Racers cars. I would look through those tips and see if you can get it working better.

There is a discussion about the new (2019) track system and cars - and why I think it is a huge improvement - here: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/new-micro-scalextric-track-system/

I hope that helps!

Woodcote - Many thanks for the quick reply. You're preaching to the converted about the new track. I do prefer it to the old one. The only drawback is that it's still in its infancy, so there's not a lot available for it yet. I'll have a look at the attachment you sent and take it from there.

Dave

Hi Dave - I have built some pretty fun tracks with the new system (mostly without the loop-the-loops). The track available - 45-degree curves, 3 and 6-inch straights - does give a lot of versatility for some nice layouts. I have spotted that Jadlam Racing Models are already selling track separately. For lap counting and timing, I find 'Lap Tracker - Auto Timer' to be good and reliable on my iPhone and iPad.

I've also had fun making some simple scenics for the lovely new Wacky Races and Looney Tunes character cars: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/new-micro-system-sets And we're planning a Gotham City street circuit Grand Prix at our local slot car club during the summer holidays 😎

Thanks for the 'heads up' about Jadlam selling the new track. I've just been on their website and ordered a 6 straight and 6 bends pack. I was pleasantly surprised by their next day delivery price - £2.49. So I should have it tomorrow and be able to use it on Sunday at our second Scalextric day in our local games shop.

Dave