Select DCC controller

daryll

just ordered one from a face book group , so.....

is it worth upgrading to firmware 1.6 , its 1.5 at the moment

Is the hornby select a link cable from select to PC running railmaster just a RJ45 to USB

Cheers

Daryll

...is it worth upgrading to firmware 1.6 , it's 1.5 at the moment.

For me it would be, only you would know whether being able to write to all CVs is a useful feature for you to have. The upgrade is only £15 and in my opinion the write CV feature that 1.6 gives, is worth every penny and totally transforms the Select capabilities. You can download the 1.6 manual addendum from here and read what the extra functionality of 1.6 gives. The addendum is likely to DL silently in the background, so if nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the 1.6 PDF.

Is the Hornby 'Select a Link' cable from Select to PC running with RailMaster just a RJ45 to USB cable?

No....it was an active adaptor powered by the USB 5 volt DC supply provided on the USB interface. By active, I mean it contained a printed circuit board with Hornby firmware (software) that converted USB data to ExpressNet data. I say 'was', because it was cancelled by Hornby prior to its launch. Thus it was never made available to buy, and only ever reached the engineering example stage in its production cycle.

Note, It was an RJ11 connector not RJ45. These are physically different. RJ11 is 4 wires on a 6 way RJ12 connector, whilst RJ45 is 8 wires on a 8 way connector. An RJ45 plug will not fit in a RJ11 / RJ12 socket.